A good quntum mechanics book to review before grad school

In summary, Bill is an undergraduate student who recently completed a major in physics and is planning to apply for grad school. He is looking for book suggestions on quantum mechanics, as he found his previous textbook to be too mathematically focused and lacking in physical interpretation. He specifically mentions the book "Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development" by Ballentine as a potential option.
tfhub
Hi , I finished my undergrad major in physics this fall. I wish to apply to grad school for next fall, so I need some book review books on physics, I n my university we followed Griffith's intro to QM as textbook, I solved almost all the problems there upto chapt 7, but this seemed a more mathematical approach to me. I didnt learn physics much from this book, other than mathematics I need suggestion of a good QM book that atleat has some physical interpretation of why I am doing this long long integrations in QM/

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What makes a good quantum mechanics book for reviewing before grad school?

A good quantum mechanics book for reviewing before grad school should have clear and concise explanations of complex concepts, thorough coverage of fundamental principles, and a variety of practice problems with solutions.

2. Should I focus on a specific area of quantum mechanics when reviewing for grad school?

It is recommended to have a broad understanding of quantum mechanics before starting grad school, so it is important to review all major topics including quantum theory, wave mechanics, and quantum dynamics.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of quantum mechanics before reading a review book for grad school?

While having some background knowledge in quantum mechanics is helpful, it is not necessary as long as the book provides clear explanations and builds upon foundational concepts.

4. Can I use the same quantum mechanics book I used in undergraduate studies for reviewing before grad school?

It is not necessary to use the same book, but it can be helpful for continuity and familiarity. It is important to choose a book that is comprehensive and covers all necessary material for grad school.

5. Are there any recommended supplemental resources to use alongside a review book for quantum mechanics?

There are many online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems that can supplement a review book for quantum mechanics. It is also helpful to work on problems with classmates or seek guidance from a professor if needed.