Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A graphical linkage synthesis question

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    Hi, all. Can anyone who use or used explain the difference between examples in Norton's machinery books in chapter on graphical linkage synthesis, one is a rocker output-two positions
    with complex displacement and the other is coupler output-two positions with complex displacement.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

I have a copy of; Machine Design, An Integrated Approach, 3rd Edition. Robert L. Norton. ISBN 0131481908
    But there is no linkage design in chapter 2.

Can you give a full reference, or better still, scan the diagrams and post them here?

4. May 6, 2014 #3
    I have copy of kinematics and dynamics of machinery, second edition in SI but your copy
    probably covers the same examples. You should look at the chapter called "Graphical linkage synthesis". It is chapter 3 in my book. Examples are example 3-2 (Rocker output two positions with complex
    displacement) and example 3-3 (coupler output two-positions with complex displacement).

And thank you for your interest.

5. May 6, 2014 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

To learn the step-by-step construction and to understand the difference between these two mechanisms, See example 2 for the first one, and Example 3 for the second one at:

http://facultad.bayamon.inter.edu/elay/mecn4110/ch3graphical%20linkage%20synthesis.pdf [Broken]

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. May 7, 2014 #5
    why is example 3-2 called rocker output and the example 3-3 called coupler output and why rotopole is used in example 3-2 and not used in example 3-3? First two steps are the same and third step is a bit different and fourth step is almost the same.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook