A Great Poem Everyone should know

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: The poem is filled with powerful metaphors and symbols of death, but the main message is clear - do not go gentle into that good night. The son is urging his father to fight against death, to rage against the dying of the light, to not go quietly into the darkness. It is a plea for his father to hold on to life, to not give up, to not be defeated by death. In summary, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas is a powerful and emotional poem that urges the reader to fight against death and not give up on life. The poet's message is clear - do not go gently into the darkness, but instead, rage against the dying of the light. The poem is a plea
zoobyshoe
Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

by Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like it. Is it supposed to be an angry poem? I get mixed messages. It is sad because (I'm assuming) it is about someone dying, but the poet is saying don't just give up like that, go out fighting! Is he angry at the dying person?

jimmy p said:
I like it. Is it supposed to be an angry poem? I get mixed messages. It is sad because (I'm assuming) it is about someone dying, but the poet is saying don't just give up like that, go out fighting! Is he angry at the dying person?
I think he's angry that anyone might have to die defeated and weak. It's specifically addressed to his father, but I don't think it's anger at his father, more an attempt to stir him to a more defiant, stronger last flash of life.

I have mixed feeling on this. There comes a time when it is okay, no, a blessing to finally let go. In one sense this strikes as a story of a son who could not accept death. Was his father suffering horribly? Was the son demanding that his father be strong because he [the son] was too weak to accept the inevitable?

Ivan Seeking said:
I have mixed feeling on this. There comes a time when it is okay, no, a blessing to finally let go. In one sense this strikes as a story of a son who could not accept death. Was his father suffering horribly? Was the son demanding that his father be strong because he [the son] was too weak to accept the inevitable?
Absolutely. This is about the son's inability to accept death.

1. What makes a poem "great"?

A great poem is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, some common characteristics of a great poem include its use of vivid imagery, powerful language, and emotional impact. It should also have a strong structure and flow, and be able to evoke a deep connection with the reader.

2. How do I know which poem I should read?

There are many factors to consider when choosing a poem to read. Some suggestions include reading poems from different time periods, exploring different styles and forms of poetry, and finding poems that speak to your personal interests or experiences. Ultimately, the best poem for you will be one that resonates with you and leaves a lasting impression.

3. Can anyone appreciate a great poem?

Yes, anyone can appreciate a great poem. While some people may have a natural inclination towards poetry, anyone can learn to appreciate and understand the beauty and depth of a great poem. With an open mind and willingness to explore different poems, anyone can find a poem that speaks to them.

4. Should I analyze a poem or just enjoy it?

This depends on your personal preference. Some people enjoy analyzing poems and uncovering deeper meanings and themes, while others simply enjoy the emotional experience of reading a poem. Both approaches are valid and can enhance your understanding and appreciation of a great poem.

5. How can I find more great poems?

There are many ways to discover new and great poems. You can attend local poetry readings or open mic nights, join a book club focused on poetry, or explore online resources such as poetry websites or podcasts. You can also ask friends or family members for recommendations or simply browse through poetry collections at your local library or bookstore.