Mastering General Relativity: A Self-Study Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter mtarek16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, this guide provides tips on how to learn general relativity, which is a difficult subject to learn. It is important to have a good foundation in calculus and linear algebra, as these are necessary for understanding general relativity.
mtarek16
Hi all,

Could anyone please write a good guide on how to learn general relativity ?
to be more specific, I want more of a learning-track for self-studying, assuming that I have basic knowledge of calculus and linear algebra.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A guide on how to learn general relativity-- that sounds like a hell of a post to write! Firstly, have you studied special relativity? If not, I suggest you do so. You also need to know a fair bit of maths to learn general relativity-- which is why it is normal an upper undergraduate or graduate level course in university. You should at least attempt to learn some mathematics first-- tensor algebra/ differential geometry, but to study these you will probably need the basic standard university level calculus courses at least.

There are loads of threads about this topic knocking around. Try searching the forum for more posts.

Go to this site - http://www.archive.org/index.php (try after some time, since they seem to facing technical difficulties right now). Then paste this address - http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/ - into the search field and click 'Take Me Back'. Choose the most recent version of the late, great site.

Welcome to PF!

neutrino said:
Go to this site - http://www.archive.org/index.php (try after some time, since they seem to facing technical difficulties right now). Then paste this address - http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/RelWWW/ - into the search field and click 'Take Me Back'. Choose the most recent version of the late, great site.

Welcome to PF!

So that's how to find Chris Hillman's relativity page-- I really missed that when I searched for it a while ago.

1. What is the purpose of "Mastering General Relativity: A Self-Study Guide for Beginners?"

The purpose of this guide is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the theory of general relativity. It is designed for beginners who have a basic understanding of physics and mathematics and are interested in learning about Einstein's famous theory.

2. Who is the target audience for this guide?

The target audience for this guide is anyone who is interested in learning about general relativity, regardless of their background or level of knowledge. It is ideal for beginners, but can also be a helpful refresher for those who have some prior knowledge of the subject.

3. What topics are covered in "Mastering General Relativity: A Self-Study Guide for Beginners?"

The guide covers topics such as the history of general relativity, the theory of special relativity, tensor calculus, the Einstein field equations, black holes, and gravitational waves. It also includes exercises and practice problems to help readers solidify their understanding of the material.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge to understand this guide?

While some basic knowledge of physics and mathematics is helpful, this guide is designed to be accessible to beginners. It starts with the fundamentals and builds up to more complex concepts, so readers with little to no prior knowledge of general relativity can still learn and understand the material.

5. Can I use this guide as a self-study resource?

Yes, this guide is specifically designed for self-study. It includes clear explanations, examples, and exercises for readers to work through at their own pace. It also provides answers to all of the practice problems, making it a comprehensive and effective resource for self-learning.