Calculating Distance: 12 kg Object with 24 J Kinetic Energy and 6 N Force

• Thread starter Nimmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a 12 kg object with 24 joules of kinetic energy against a net resisting force of 6 Newtons. The question posed is how far will the object move, with multiple choice answers ranging from 2-24 meters. The answer is thought to be 4 meters, as the resisting force would cancel out the kinetic energy of the object and result in its stopping after moving 4 meters. The conversation also touches on the importance of finding meaningful and applicable questions rather than simply creating difficult ones for the sake of it.
Nimmy
A 12 kg object initally has 24 joules of kinetic energy. How far will the object move against a net resisting force of 6 Newtons? :uhh:

(A) 2 m
(B) 4 m
(C) 12 m
(D) 16 m
(E) 24 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Nimmy, please show us your ideas. We can not help you otherwise.

Read this first : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=28

Last edited:
think its easy...

the mass is moving with a velocity 2m/s right?
the resisting force would so a work in such a way that the mass stops after moving a certain distance...so the work done by the resisting force should be cancelling out the mass's kinetic energy...the resisting force is constant throughout right?then the block would be moving 4 metres as then the 6 Newton force would be doing a work of -24 joules cancelling out the mass's kinetic energy...i think its right...what kind of a question is this...are u preparing for some entrance examination...nimmy try to bring in question which has more application...anyone can create high class questions which no one can even answer...so grab such questions which are made not for the sake of making questions...but ...i m just speaking out that's al...leave it

Last edited:

1. What is the hard problem in your opinion?

The hard problem in my opinion is the question of consciousness, specifically how and why subjective experience arises from physical processes in the brain.

2. Why is this problem considered difficult?

This problem is considered difficult because there is currently no widely accepted solution or theory that fully explains consciousness. It is also a complex topic that involves both philosophy and neuroscience.

3. How do you approach this problem as a scientist?

As a scientist, I approach this problem by using the scientific method to study and analyze the brain and its processes, as well as philosophical theories and concepts related to consciousness. I also collaborate with other researchers in the field to share ideas and findings.

4. What are some proposed solutions to this problem?

Some proposed solutions to this problem include the idea of emergent consciousness, where consciousness arises from complex interactions between brain processes, as well as panpsychism, which suggests that consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe.

5. Why is it important to continue studying this problem?

It is important to continue studying this problem because understanding consciousness has implications for our understanding of the human mind, our place in the universe, and even ethical considerations. It also has potential applications in fields such as psychology, medicine, and artificial intelligence.