A heating element in a container with low pressure gas?

In summary, the gas in the container will reach a higher temperature than the temperature of the heating element, but it is not clear how this is achieved.
randombill
This is just a qualitative question but feel free to show an equation if possible.

Basically if you have a container with a heating element, let's say 500 W with a temperature of 2500 Kelvins and inside this box is a low pressure ideal gas, something like 1/100 of an atmosphere. Also imagine that the walls of the container do not let heat escape. The question I have is what would be the final temperature of the low pressure gas (after a considerable time), higher than the temperature of the heating element at 2500 Kelvin or just the same. I'm assuming a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution would describe the speeds of the particles and the temperature of a particle is (3/2)K_bT.

Science news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on this? Would the heater be left on after a long time, or shut off?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What are your thoughts on this? Would the heater be left on after a long time, or shut off?

Chet
Let's imagine that the heater would only stay on at 2500k. The reason I ask this is because of the experiment at UW call the http://plasma.physics.wisc.edu/viewpage.php?id=mpdx experiment. They use LaB6 as the heating element with a max temperature around 2500k and in the Madison experiment they plan on heating Sodium to a temp much higher than that, like 30k Kelvin. I'm just not sure how that would be achieved?

randombill said:
Let's imagine that the heater would only stay on at 2500k. The reason I ask this is because of the experiment at UW call the http://plasma.physics.wisc.edu/viewpage.php?id=mpdx experiment. They use LaB6 as the heating element with a max temperature around 2500k and in the Madison experiment they plan on heating Sodium to a temp much higher than that, like 30k Kelvin. I'm just not sure how that would be achieved?
What do you think would happen with the heating element if you kept it on at 500 W after the temperature in the chamber reached 2500 K?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What do you think would happen with the heating element if you kept it on at 500 W after the temperature in the chamber reached 2500 K?

Chet
My guess is the heater would stay at whatever temp that's equivalent to 500 w and the gas in the container would start to go above 2500 kelvin, but I'm sort of lost as to how to explain this using only convection; the average electron temps would definitely increase over 2500k.

randombill said:
My guess is the heater would stay at whatever temp that's equivalent to 500 w and the gas in the container would start to go above 2500 kelvin, but I'm sort of lost as to how to explain this using only convection; the average electron temps would definitely increase over 2500k.
The first law of thermodynamics tells me that if you keep supplying thermal energy via the heating element (electrical energy being converted to heat), and since the container is rigid so no work is being exchanged with the surroundings, the internal energy of the container contents will keep rising. In order for the heating element to supply heat to the gas, its temperature must be higher than the gas. So, if you keep supplying 500 W to the heating element, its temperature will rise above 2500. (What made you think that it wouldn't?). How much higher its temperature can get before burning out is what needs to be addressed.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The first law of thermodynamics tells me that if you keep supplying thermal energy via the heating element (electrical energy being converted to heat), and since the container is rigid so no work is being exchanged with the surroundings, the internal energy of the container contents will keep rising. In order for the heating element to supply heat to the gas, its temperature must be higher than the gas. So, if you keep supplying 500 W to the heating element, its temperature will rise above 2500. (What made you think that it wouldn't?). How much higher its temperature can get before burning out is what needs to be addressed.

Chet
I don't disagree with your statement, the last part.

"How much higher its temperature can get before burning out is what needs to be addressed."

Is what I'm confused by simply from the standpoint that the melting point of the heater is 2500 Kelvin, therefore the gas around the element shouldn't ever reach anything above that, yet they're supposedly getting 30k Kelvin just by stirring the plasma? I'm confused now.

randombill said:
I don't disagree with your statement, the last part.

"How much higher its temperature can get before burning out is what needs to be addressed."

Is what I'm confused by simply from the standpoint that the melting point of the heater is 2500 Kelvin, therefore the gas around the element shouldn't ever reach anything above that, yet they're supposedly getting 30k Kelvin just by stirring the plasma? I'm confused now.
Well, the heater is not going to be able to do it, so something else must supply the required energy. Maybe viscous heating from the stirring could do the trick, but it might take a long time (if the stirrer is magnetic so that heat couldn't be conducted out along the shaft).

Chet

Likes randombill

1. How does a heating element affect the pressure of low pressure gas in a container?

When a heating element is introduced in a container with low pressure gas, the temperature of the gas increases. This causes the gas molecules to gain more energy and move around more rapidly, leading to an increase in pressure. This increase in pressure is known as thermal expansion.

2. Can a heating element cause a container with low pressure gas to explode?

Yes, a heating element can potentially cause a container with low pressure gas to explode if the pressure becomes too high. This can occur if the heating element is too powerful or if the container is not designed to withstand high pressures. It is important to carefully monitor the temperature and pressure levels when using a heating element in a container with low pressure gas.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when using a heating element in a container with low pressure gas?

The following safety precautions should be taken when using a heating element in a container with low pressure gas:

• Ensure that the container is designed to withstand high pressures
  • Monitor the temperature and pressure levels regularly
  • Use a heating element with appropriate power and heating capabilities
  • Keep the container away from any potential sources of ignition
  • Have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency

4. How does the type of gas in the container affect the behavior of a heating element?

The type of gas in the container can affect the behavior of a heating element in several ways. Different gases have different thermal properties and respond differently to changes in temperature. Some gases may expand more rapidly with an increase in temperature, while others may not expand as much. It is important to consider the specific properties of the gas in the container when using a heating element.

5. Can a heating element be used to decrease the pressure of a gas in a container?

Yes, a heating element can be used to decrease the pressure of a gas in a container. This can be achieved by heating the gas and then allowing it to cool down, leading to a decrease in pressure due to a decrease in temperature. This process is known as thermal contraction. However, caution should be taken as rapid cooling can also cause a container to implode if it is not designed to withstand negative pressures.