Gas Pressure vs Temperature moved between containers?

In summary: In this case, the control volume is the larger 2000psi steel pressure vessel. We can calculate the amount of heat transferred from the larger tank to the smaller one and the amount of pressure lost as heat. We also can calculate how much the temperature of the gas in the smaller tank increases after it is filled. The total amount of heat transferred and the temperature increase is the cause and the lower pressure is the effect.In summary, when a pressure vessel is filled with nitrogen, the pressure gradually drops to the equilibrium pressure of the system. The heat transferred from the larger tank to the smaller one is the cause and the temperature increase is the effect.
avg joe
I have a question regarding an occurrence with Nitrogen gas and two separate containers. I'm trying to explain why when I fill my steel pressure vessels to ~180psi on an avalauncher from a larger 2000psi steel tank, the pressure slowly drops to ~175psi after the fill. I believe this to be temperatures equalizing after the fill but am unsure the properties at play here. Typically filling a tank causes pressure and thus heat. Pressure escaping from a container to a lower pressure releases heat, correct? In my situation, what causes one to over ride the other?

Thank you in advance

Science news on Phys.org
The cooling takes place at constant volume and constant number of moles. What does the ideal gas law tell you about such a situation? In my judgment, the cooling to lower temperature is the cause, and the lower pressure is the effect.

Chestermiller said:
The cooling takes place at constant volume and constant number of moles. What does the ideal gas law tell you about such a situation? In my judgment, the cooling to lower temperature is the cause, and the lower pressure is the effect.

forgive my ignorance but are you saying that when the nitrogen leaves the larger tank it will cool and then immediately heat as it compresses into the new tank?

Depending on the volume and initial pressure in the larger tank, the gas in the larger tank will cool as it expels gas. The amount of cooling will typically be small for a very large high-pressure tank. The gas entering through the inlet valve of the smaller tank is about the same temperature as it was when it was being expelled from the larger tank. But the newly entering gas to the smaller tank compresses the gas already inside the tank, and causes its temperature to increase. So immediately after the smaller tank is filled, its temperature of the gas in the smaller tank is higher than it was when it was originally in the larger tank. Next, the gas in the smaller tank will cool as it re-equilibrates with the surroundings temperature. This will cause its pressure to drop a little.

Chestermiller said:
Depending on the volume and initial pressure in the larger tank, the gas in the larger tank will cool as it expels gas. The amount of cooling will typically be small for a very large high-pressure tank. The gas entering through the inlet valve of the smaller tank is about the same temperature as it was when it was being expelled from the larger tank. But the newly entering gas to the smaller tank compresses the gas already inside the tank, and causes its temperature to increase. So immediately after the smaller tank is filled, its temperature of the gas in the smaller tank is higher than it was when it was originally in the larger tank. Next, the gas in the smaller tank will cool as it re-equilibrates with the surroundings temperature. This will cause its pressure to drop a little.

thank you so much for the thorough answer. is there a particular "law" associated with this?

avg joe said:
thank you so much for the thorough answer. is there a particular "law" associated with this?
We can quantify this using the specific geometry and conditions of the system. The main part of the calculation involves application of the open system (control volume) version of the first law of thermodynamics.

1. How does gas pressure change when temperature is moved between containers?

According to the ideal gas law, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, gas molecules will have more energy and thus exert more force on the walls of the container, resulting in an increase in pressure. Conversely, as temperature decreases, gas molecules will have less energy and exert less force, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

2. What is the relationship between gas pressure and temperature in an ideal gas?

In an ideal gas, the relationship between pressure and temperature is described by the ideal gas law: PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation shows that pressure and temperature are directly proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other will also increase.

3. How does changing the volume of a container affect gas pressure and temperature?

According to Charles' Law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as volume decreases, temperature will also decrease, resulting in a decrease in gas pressure. Similarly, as volume increases, temperature will also increase, resulting in an increase in gas pressure.

4. Why does gas pressure increase when temperature is increased?

When temperature is increased, gas molecules will have more energy and move faster. This results in more frequent and forceful collisions with the walls of the container, leading to an increase in pressure.

5. Can gas pressure and temperature be changed independently of each other?

In an ideal gas, pressure and temperature are directly proportional, meaning that they cannot be changed independently of each other. However, in real gases, other factors such as intermolecular forces and molecular size can also affect the relationship between pressure and temperature.