A kinematics problem in which direction of velocity keeps changing.

In summary, the conversation involved solving for the distance a dog needs to travel to catch a rabbit, given that the rabbit is running in a straight line and the dog starts at a point when the rabbit is at the origin. The dog runs at twice the speed of the rabbit and always runs straight for the rabbit. Using a rectangular coordinate system, the solution involved setting up integrals in the vertical and horizontal directions and solving for the time it takes for the dog to catch the rabbit. The final answer for the distance the dog has traveled from sight to meal should be 400 units.
Satvik Pandey

Homework Statement

A dog sees a rabbit running in a straight line across an open field and gives chase. In a rectangular coordinate system (L,0), assume:

(i) The rabbit is at the origin and the dog is at the point at the instant the dog first sees the rabbit.

(ii) The rabbit runs up the y-axis and the dog always runs straight for the rabbit.

(iii) The dog runs at twice the speed of the rabbit.

Assuming L=300 units, how much does the dog have to travel to catch the rabbit?

Enter your answer as the distance the dog has traveled from sight to meal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

cATCH.png

From the figure
in vertical direction
##-dx=(2v-vcos\theta )dt##
##\int _{ 300 }^{ 0 }{ -dx } =\int _{ 0 }^{ t }{ (2v-vcos\theta )dt } ##
##300=2vt-v\int _{ 0 }^{ t }{ (cos\theta )dt } ##......(1)
in horizontal direction
##vt=2v\int _{ 0 }^{ t }{ (cos\theta )dt } ##
##\int _{ 0 }^{ t }{ (cos\theta )dt } =\frac { t }{ 2 } ##
putting this value in eq (1)
##300=2vt-\frac { vt }{ 2 } ##
##t=\frac { 200 }{ v } ##
I think we have to find displacement of dog.
Distance traveled by rabbit in this time is 200
By pytha
Displacement should be ##\sqrt { 40000+90000 } =360.55##
But this is incorrect.
Where did I go wrong.

Likes Orodruin and ehild
Physics news on Phys.org
How have you defined your dx? Just looking at your figure, the change in x should depend on ##\sin\theta## rather than ##\cos\theta##.

##dx/dt## is the rate at which separation between dog and rabbit decreases.
Does this separation not decrease with ##2v-vcos\theta## ?

This is true. I was confused by your use of x as the variable when you also had an x-axis and I do not see something else strange in that approach at first glance.

However, in the last step, you seem to be trying to apply Pythagoras' theorem, but the path traveled by the dog does not constitute the hypothenuse of a right triangle. Instead, ask yourself this question: If the rabbit has traveled a distance of 200, how far has the dog travelled?

Likes Satvik Pandey
It does. And initially it is 300. But the integral along the path of the dog is not 300. Only the vertical component is 300. In other words: initially dx is what you say it is, but as soon as theta is non-zero, the vertical component changes at a different rate!

Orodruin said:
This is true. I was confused by your use of x as the variable when you also had an x-axis and I do not see something else strange in that approach at first glance.

However, in the last step, you seem to be trying to apply Pythagoras' theorem, but the path traveled by the dog does not constitute the hypothenuse of a right triangle. Instead, ask yourself this question: If the rabbit has traveled a distance of 200, how far has the dog travelled?
As dog velocity is twice the velocity of rabbit so it should cover ##2(200)##.
Orodruin said:
However, in the last step, you seem to be trying to apply Pythagoras' theorem, but the path traveled by the dog does not constitute the hypothenuse of a right triangle.
Could you please explain.o_O

BvU said:
It does. And initially it is 300. But the integral along the path of the dog is not 300.

What he has done is to integrate the total gain of the dog on the rabbit, i.e., he is integrating to find the total distance gained, not the total distance traveled (x the distance to the rabbit, not the x coordinate). He is also computing the total horizontal distance traveled which then gives him the integral he was missing for the gain.

Satvik Pandey said:
As dog velocity is twice the velocity of rabbit so it should cover 2(200).

So is 2x200 = 400 more in line with the expected answer?

Likes Satvik Pandey
Oro: yes, right. I had the same confusion about dx.
Savik has done a very good job up to the point t = 200/v.

Likes Satvik Pandey
BvU said:
Oro: yes, right. I had the same confusion about dx.
Savik has done a very good job up to the point t = 200/v.
Thank you BvU and Orodruin.:)
I thought that the displacement of dog is being asked that's why I used Pythagoras theorem.I should have read the question more carefully. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anyway, your method was ingenious, Satvik!

ehild

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:

ehild
Thanks ehild. Receiving a like from you means a lot to me.:w
I have seen similar types of question which involves this approach to the solution in some book earlier.I just applied this method here.:rolleyes:

ehild said:

ehild

I agree. +1

Orodruin said:
I agree. +1
Thanks Orodruin. Receiving a like from you also means a lot to me.:w

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is velocity?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It includes both the speed and direction of motion.

3. How does the direction of velocity change?

The direction of velocity can change in various ways, such as when an object changes its direction of motion, when it speeds up or slows down, or when it moves in a curved path.

4. What causes the direction of velocity to change?

The direction of velocity changes due to the presence of external forces, such as gravity, friction, or applied forces.

5. Can the magnitude of velocity change while the direction remains constant?

Yes, the magnitude of velocity can change while the direction remains constant. This is known as uniform circular motion, where the object moves in a circular path at a constant speed, but its velocity is constantly changing due to the change in direction.