A lab on one-dimensional collisions

In summary, the two synthesis questions are asking how friction could have affected the results of the one-dimensional collisions, and what would happen to the kinetic energy of the carts if friction was involved.
a seeker
hi, i am doing a lab about analyzing one-dimensional collisions.
There are two synthesis questions that i don't know how to even begin with.

1. How could the results of this investigation be applied to determine the mass of a sealed refuse bag on board the International Space Station? (Everything in the station is under constant free fall.)

First off, i don't even understand the question. what's a 'sealed refuse bag on board the internation space station' anywayz?

2. Adjustable friction pads are available as cart accessories. How would using these pads have affected the results of the collisions in this investigation?

Well, the lab design was to use frictionless carts along a level track, so i think the 'cart' on the question is talking about the one we used. So, how does friction affect 1-D collisions? hmm. i think the friction hinders the movement of the carts, therefore lowering the velocity, which even lowers the values of the cart's momentum and kinetic energy. How's that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not clear on the first question.
2. If friction is involved, what happens to the kinetic energy of the carts? Is momentum conserved? (you are on the right track)

omg the first question is killing me!
well, is the Internation Space Station stationary or no?
is it moving? if so, to what direction?
i am trying to derive an equation using
m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2' (conservation of momentum).
but i figure this equation alone is not enough.

i am considering
1/2m1v1^2+1/2m2v2^2=1/2m1v1'^2+1/2m2v2'^2 (conservation of energy).
but i can use this equation only when the collision is elastic. but is a collision elastic or inelastic in a space station??
i don't know anything about the space station!
omg, the question does not specify. what should i do?
anyone knows anything about the space station that can be useful?

Last edited:

1. What is a lab on one-dimensional collisions?

A lab on one-dimensional collisions is an experiment that studies the interactions and outcomes of objects moving in a straight line and colliding with each other. It is typically conducted in a controlled environment, such as a laboratory, using specialized equipment to measure and analyze the results.

2. What is the purpose of conducting a one-dimensional collision lab?

The main purpose of this lab is to understand the principles of conservation of momentum and energy in collisions. By studying the outcomes of one-dimensional collisions, scientists can better understand the laws of physics and how they apply to real-world scenarios.

3. What are the key components needed to conduct a one-dimensional collision lab?

The key components needed for this lab include objects with different masses, a track or surface for the objects to move on, a device to measure the velocity and momentum of the objects, and a way to control and record the collisions.

4. What types of collisions can be studied in a one-dimensional collision lab?

In this type of lab, scientists can study both elastic and inelastic collisions. In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system are conserved, while in inelastic collisions, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms, such as heat or sound.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying one-dimensional collisions?

The principles learned from studying one-dimensional collisions can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as car crashes, sports, and even space exploration. By understanding the physics behind collisions, scientists can better design and engineer safer and more efficient systems and devices.