Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little help with Linear Transformations

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    Okay, I will just admit that I stink at using mathematical proof in Linear. I hope someone can give me a push with this problem

Prove that T : R(real)^3 -> R(real)^3 defined by T([yz,xz,zy]) is not a linear transformation.

Reading my book I know that I need to prove that the transformation is closed under additivity and scalar multiplication, but alas I do not know where to begin with this. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    That's what you would do if you wanted to prove that T /was/ a linear transformation. You're asked to prove T is not a linear transformation. You can do this by exhibiting two vectors a, b such that T(a + b) != T(a) + T(b), for example.

4. Nov 1, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

look, the whole idea of a, onear transformation is that when it is given in formulas, the formulas are linear, i.e. first degree. what degree are your formulas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?