A mass on a spring, trying to find dispacement after at certain time. ( )

In summary, a 0.27 kg mass is suspended on a spring that stretches 4.9 cm. The mass is pulled down an additional 12.5 cm and released. To find the displacement from the equilibrium position after 0.42 s, we need to determine the spring constant k and use it to solve for x at the given time using the equation for simple harmonic motion.
The Merf
A mass on a spring, trying to find dispacement after at certain time. (Please Help!)

Homework Statement

A 0.27 kg mass is suspended on a spring that stretches a distance of 4.9 cm. The mass is then pulled down an additional distance of 12.5 cm and released. What's the displacement from the equilibrium position with the mass attached (in cm) after 0.42 s? Take up to be positive and use g = 9.81 m/s^2

m=.27kg
t=.42s
g=9.81m/s^2
I don't know how to represent it, but I believe that 4.9 is the equilibrium.
12.5cm is the initial displacement (maybe x0?)

Homework Equations

I have no idea, this is what I need help with.

maybe u=1/2kx^2, but I don't have a k, and I don't need u, but it is the only spring equation I know

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

I also found the fallowing equations dealing with harmonic oscillation:
[tex]

x(t)=A\sin(\omega t)+B\cos(\omega t)

[/tex]
[tex]

\omega^2 =\frac{k}{m}

[/tex]
i'm not sure what the w is

ooh, and this one look very promissing:

[ctex]

x(t)=\frac{v_0}{\omega}\sin(\omega t)+x_0\cos(\omega t)\;.

[/ctex]

I know that v0 is 0 so that wipes out the first half, I think x0 is 12.5, but where does the 4.9 come in and what is the w?

hmm, the image doesn't seem to work so I'm going to try writing it out:

x(t)=((v0)/w)sin(wt) + (x0)cos(wt)

The stretching force is mg = -kx. Find k.
When you stretch the spring further and release, it will execute a simple harmonic motion with amplitude A and angular frequency ω =sqrt(k/m)
Can you write the equation of SHM and find x at a given time?

1. What is a mass on a spring?

A mass on a spring is a common physics experiment that involves a mass attached to a spring and its resulting motion. The spring provides a restoring force that causes the mass to oscillate back and forth.

2. How does the mass on a spring system work?

The mass on a spring system follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. When the mass is pulled or pushed, the spring stretches or compresses, respectively, and then returns to its original position due to the restoring force.

3. What is displacement in the context of a mass on a spring system?

Displacement refers to the distance and direction from the equilibrium position of the mass on a spring system. It is typically measured in meters and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the displacement.

4. How can displacement be calculated at a certain time for a mass on a spring system?

The displacement at a certain time for a mass on a spring system can be calculated using the equation x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement at time t, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. The values of A, ω, and φ can be determined by the initial conditions of the system.

5. How does displacement change over time for a mass on a spring system?

The displacement of a mass on a spring system changes over time in a sinusoidal pattern, with the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation depending on the mass and spring constants. As time increases, the displacement will continue to oscillate but will decrease in amplitude due to energy dissipation through friction and other external forces.