How can a mousetrap power a car?

• Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the team came up with a propeller to push the car froward. It would have a mousetrap(facing to the side) would be attached to an axle and the end of the axle would be a propeller. The problem with this idea is the lack of thrust and the friction.
scott1
It's been a while since I posted here.

For my physics class we have a project for a mousetrap powered car. Basically it is trying to figure out a way to use the energy from a mouse trap to power a car.

For our design I came up with a propeller to push the car froward. Basically it would have a mousetrap(facing to the side) would be attached to an axle and the end of the axle would be a propeller.

This may not be the best idea but I think it would have a few advantages:
  • It conserve more energy as it would difficult to use all the force of the mousetrap at once
  • It is a much more creative design then having a mousetrap simply attached the wheels(we get extra points for a more creative design)
  • It would last longer. I remember those "[URL propeller
    [/URL] where by moving your hands in opposite directions they can fly and stay in their for a few seconds

I just have some questions:
  • What would be the best propeller for the design
  • how much force does an average spring loaded mousetrap have when it set

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
scott1 said:
It's been a while since I posted here.

For my physics class we have a project for a mousetrap powered car. Basically it is trying to figure out a way to use the energy from a mouse trap to power a car.

The problem with propellers is the friction and the lack of thrust. If you're shooting for length of the car...inevitably the person that wins has the longest lightest stick taped to the top of the trap hinge. At the end of this stick, a string is secured to the axle of the wheels. Its an exercise in mechanical advantage. Nothing more...nothing less. Don't think about it to much. It's almost hard to watch...but it works the best. The car will tip as it moves, but it travels the furthest.

Jupiter6 said:
The problem with propellers is the friction and the lack of thrust. If you're shooting for length of the car...inevitably the person that wins has the longest lightest stick taped to the top of the trap hinge. At the end of this stick, a string is secured to the axle of the wheels. Its an exercise in mechanical advantage. Nothing more...nothing less. Don't think about it to much. It's almost hard to watch...but it works the best. The car will tip as it moves, but it travels the furthest.
Thanks for your advice( I knew that there would be something wrong with my propeller idea).

Your idea would work but:
my orginal post said:
It is a much more creative design then having a mousetrap simply attached the wheels(we get extra points for a more creative design)
most of the examples our physics teacher had and many of the ones I could find on Google was very similar. Since I think some of the other group members need to get a good grade on this project I want to come up with a "original"(meaning that no other group in our class will probably have the same design). So I thought what if you had a fan attached to the top of the trap hinge and use the huge amount of air being pushed to the back of the car to make move froward.

1. How does a mouse trap powered car work?

A mouse trap powered car works by converting potential energy stored in a mouse trap's spring into kinetic energy to propel the car forward. When the trap is set, the spring is loaded with potential energy. As the trap is triggered, the spring is released and the potential energy is converted into forward motion.

2. What materials are needed to build a mouse trap powered car?

To build a mouse trap powered car, you will need a mouse trap, wooden or plastic wheels, axles, a sturdy frame, and other materials such as rubber bands, dowels, and cardboard for added support and stability. You may also need tools such as a drill, glue, and scissors to assemble the car.

3. How can I make my mouse trap powered car go faster?

To make your mouse trap powered car go faster, you can try using a more powerful mouse trap or adding weight to the car to increase its momentum. You can also experiment with the placement of the wheels and axles to find the best balance and maximize speed.

4. Can a mouse trap powered car be used for competitions?

Yes, mouse trap powered car competitions are popular in schools and science fairs. Depending on the competition rules, you may need to adhere to certain size and weight restrictions, and your car will be judged on factors such as speed, distance, and design.

5. What are some real-world applications of a mouse trap powered car?

A mouse trap powered car can demonstrate the principles of potential and kinetic energy, as well as the transfer of energy. It can also be used to teach engineering and design skills. Additionally, the concept of using stored energy to power a vehicle can be applied to other forms of transportation, such as hybrid cars.