A nasty integral to compute

In summary, the author simplified an integral involving trigonometric functions to a series expansion. They suggest trying to numerically integrate the series.
Rmehtany
Hey Guys!

I was working on an integration problem, and I "simplified" the integral to the following:

$$\int \limits_0^{2\pi} (7.625+.275 \cos(4x))^{1.5} \cdot (A \cos(Nx) + B \sin(Nx)) \cdot (Z-v \cos(x)) dx$$

This integral may seem impossible (I have almost lost all hope on doing this analytically.) If anyone can suggest a approach on attacking this monster, please suggest (It doesn't matter how ugly the solution will turn up to be. I will churn it out.)

Note: Assume all values to be constants EXCEPT $x$

ATTEMPTS:

An interesting idea to solve this was to use the exponential notation to replace the trigonometric functions. An example:

$$\cos(Nx) = \frac{1}{2}(e^{Nix} + e^{-Nix})$$

This allows me to express the equation in terms of these exponent terms, which is nice because the magnitude of $e^{ix}$ is 1, making the integral a closed loop integral $$\oint$$ with the integration variable equal to one. I tried to use reverse Green's theorem, but I got stuck

Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica seems unable to do it. That is not a good sign for it having a closed form solution. Is there some reason you don't simply evaluate this numerically?

Here is the result of trying.

This is for my research project, and for reasons that are too complicated to explain now, I need a numerical answer. I have some evidence based on partial testing that the integral has a closed form solution. This includes the form that I discussed in the second part of my first post

Rmehtany said:
I need a numerical answer.

Numerically evaluating the integral will give you that. It should be very easy to numerically integrate this using MATLAB or whatever.

Well if you're really interested in getting an analytical solution, you could try expanding the ##(7.625+.275 \cos(4x))^{1.5}## as a taylor series. At that point you'd have a sum of integrals that are just powers of trig functions, which should be integrable (though ugly). You could then truncate the series to get a number; should be pretty accurate since 0.275<<7.625

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

What makes an integral "nasty" to compute?

A nasty integral is one that is difficult to solve using traditional integration techniques. This could be due to the complexity of the function, the limits of integration, or the lack of known antiderivatives.

Why is it important to be able to compute "nasty" integrals?

Many real-world problems can be modeled using complex functions that require the use of "nasty" integrals to solve. Being able to compute these integrals accurately and efficiently is crucial in understanding and solving these problems.

What are some strategies for computing "nasty" integrals?

There are several techniques that can be used to compute "nasty" integrals, such as integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric identities. Additionally, numerical methods, such as Simpson's rule or Monte Carlo integration, can be used for more complex integrals.

Are there any tools or resources available for computing "nasty" integrals?

Yes, there are several software programs and online calculators that can help with computing "nasty" integrals. These tools use numerical methods and algorithms to provide accurate solutions to even the most complex integrals.