Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A New Global Theory of the Earth's Dynamics

1. Feb 27, 2005 #1
    Crackpot or exiciting paradigm shift coming up?

This guy has probably read my Venus thread but there is much more.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2005 #2
    The more of the Earths water, that enters the liquid state, the harder it is to turn this baby, and the Earth changes shape, making it larger at the equator, that is also a factor in this friction.
  4. Feb 27, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

His list of problems with tectonic theory pretty well sums him up --- Graham Hanquackian creator of "great mysteries."

Don't waste your time.
  5. Feb 28, 2005 #4
    I agree, plenty of errors, but nevertheless, a resourceful young man.
  6. Mar 8, 2005 #5

Gold Member

So perhaps the man's ideas are flawed, but he does make me wonder- precisely what effect does geothermal heat have on atmospheric heat? I have visited caves only tens of metres below ground and they are kept at a constant 7 degrees celcius all year round. Have any studies been done into the effects of geothermal heat on the atmosphere?
  7. Mar 13, 2005 #6
    Geothermal heat is probably more important for heating water, particularly in the vicinity of Antarctica where it could contribute to melting of ice shelves. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/05/040527235943.htm
  8. Mar 14, 2005 #7

Gold Member

Your reference says nothing about the potential impact of geothermal heat on the ice sheet. It would be highly speculative to suggest that a hand full of volcanoes could have anything more than a tiny effect on the Antarctic ice cap from the information given in the article.
  9. Mar 15, 2005 #8
    I probably should have reread the article when I posted the link to remind me of what it said.

The ice shelves extend from the continent over the water. Normally they would be resting on water with a temperature just below freezing unless a current brought warmer water in. Any type of underwater volcanic activity could warm the water. If that warmed water reached the underside of the ice shelf, it would melt the ice touching the water creating a gap. The air space could allow some evaporation which could then melt additional ice. The ice shelf would then only be attached to the ice on land. Eventually the weight would cause the shelf to break off.
  10. Mar 16, 2005 #9
    Anyone notice the error in the above post. I meant to type "above" for the temperature below the ice, but somehow I ended up typing "below" instead. Obviously the liquid water below the ice would be above freezing, at least for salt water.

I waited too long to edit the post.
  11. Mar 25, 2005 #10
    This discussion here could have had the same thread title.
  12. Mar 28, 2005 #11
    Interesting charts.
  13. Mar 29, 2005 #12
    Yes I guess so. I regret that I can't run the narrative here :frown: Two reasons, without img feature it's undoable and with the local crackpot intolerance, I'd risk a move to "theory devellopment" a misnomer for "crackpots corner".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?