1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A numerical solution of a second order ODE

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no template
    Hello everyone; i'd like some help in this problem : i want to solve num this differential equation
    { y"(t)+t*cos(y)=y } by the Taylor method second order expansion. i first have to make this a first order differential equation by taking this vector Z=[y' y] then we have Z'=[y" y'] wich equal Z'=[y-t*cos(y) y'] and then I put w=y' after that I use the Taylor formulat w(n+1)=w(n)+h*[y(n)-t(n)*cos(y(n))]+h^2/2*[........] here i get confused. i must put the derivative of (y-t*cos(x)) over t and then over y... is it true that when I derive over t I must derive y too over t or w or i should consider them a constant.
    then y(n+1)=y(n)+h*w(n)+h^2/2[d(w)/dt] here as well i don't know if that is true or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I think you only need to worry about differentiation with respect to t, right.
    Use the chain rule for ##t\cos(y(t))##.
    ## Z= \begin{bmatrix} y\\ y' \end{bmatrix}, Z' = \begin{bmatrix} y'\\ y'' \end{bmatrix} ##
    So what is Z''? (it should be solvable in terms of your other variables.
    ##Z(n+1) = Z(n) + hZ'(n) + \frac{h^2}{2}Z'' ##
    This should be the first order system you solve.

4. Mar 26, 2015 #3
    Capture.PNG here's what i found

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted