What's Your Perfect Day Like?

• Thread starter Gabrielle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Journal
In summary: Well, I see most of you don't do to much in a day, either.That expression is from way older then I and if I recall it from Movies I have seen it is "Dang Nab it" but I could be wrong, though, Not likely.Turtle taught me, He is the Smartest living thing on this planet, Bar None.But he's still, gone...
Gabrielle
I thought it would be interesting to describe the course of events that take place on a particular day (today or any day) either at work, at home or a day spent out and about doing the things you love most. It can be a combination of all of them. You don't have to include every single detail unless you want to. You don't need to say, "Well, first I shut off the alarm and threw off the blankets. Then I got out of bed and I went downstairs to go to the bathroom."

You first. Any volunteers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got up, drank some coffee, then went to bed.

Have you noticed the journal section of this forum yet? There are plenty of entries like that there. Though, if you start writing now, save a backup file on your computer...they'll be lost when PF upgrades next week.

New Journals will be available after the upgrade, so you can cut and paste your current journal entries into your new journal.

Evo said:
New Journals will be available after the upgrade, so you can cut and paste your current journal entries into your new journal.
Dag nab a bit, or what ever you guys say, i have just started mine, now i have
to do all this pasting stuff :cry: give me a break, i have just learned wall
paper 101.

Moonbear said:
Have you noticed the journal section of this forum yet? There are plenty of entries like that there. Though, if you start writing now, save a backup file on your computer...they'll be lost when PF upgrades next week.

I think Gabrielle meant for us to post just a short "day in my life" type of thingy.

wolram said:
Dag nab a bit, or what ever you guys say, i have just started mine, now i have
to do all this pasting stuff :cry: give me a break, i have just learned wall
paper 101.
wallpaper 101. :rofl:
I don't know where I picked up 'dag nabbit' or if that's how you spell it. I did just look up 'dag' : matted or manure-coated wool. :bugeye: And with 'nab' meaning to grab or snatch, I won't be saying 'Dag! Nab it!' anymore... :yuck:

honestrosewater said:
I don't know where I picked up 'dag nabbit' or if that's how you spell it. I did just look up 'dag' : matted or manure-coated wool. :bugeye:
There's a special name for it? Ooh, I can't wait to use it (yes, this is a word I can work into my daily vocabulary, sadly).

And with 'nab' meaning to grab or snatch, I won't be saying 'Dag! Nab it!' anymore... :yuck:
:rofl: I had no idea that was the origin of the term. LOL! I can't wait until Monday now and I can order people to "Dag Nab It!" :rofl:

Moonbear said:
I had no idea that was the origin of the term. LOL! I can't wait until Monday now and I can order people to "Dag Nab It!" :rofl:
Well, that's the only spelling that I could find meanings for. And I neglected to mention (because it isn't funny) that dag also means a hanging end or shred. So it could have started with people telling each other to pull off a hanging thread from their clothes or something. I don't know - I suppose that is plausible...

honestrosewater said:
Well, that's the only spelling that I could find meanings for. And I neglected to mention (because it isn't funny) that dag also means a hanging end or shred. So it could have started with people telling each other to pull off a hanging thread from their clothes or something. I don't know - I suppose that is plausible...
Oh, it just seems so appropriate to be an expression started by shepherds.

Jour Nal ist?

Well, I see most of you don't do to much in a day, either.

That expression is from way older then I and if I recall it from Movies I have seen it is "Dang Nab it" but I could be wrong, though, Not likely.

Turtle taught me, He is the Smartest living thing on this planet, Bar None.

But he's still, gone...

LD
WHAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wheres Turtle? WHAaAAAAAAAAAAAA :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Hey At least I knew there was an N in there somewheres, not bad, for a Rabbit! :tongue: :tongue2:

I took a day's vacation on Wednesday and drove down to Boothbay Harbor, a midcoast town here in Maine. The old movie "Carousel" (1956) staring Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae was filmed there. This is my favorite time of year to go down as most of the tourists and summer residents have left.

The last few years I've been able to do most of my Christmas shopping in the quaint little shops. I don't really have a lot of shopping to do but there are quite a few shops that I really seem to find all kinds of little treasures. I went down to browse and get some ideas for Christmas. It's still early yet.

At Christmas Magic, I found some beautiful handcarved Russian Santas in a display case. They're a little too expensive for me but I can still appreciate the handiwork. This is the first time I had seen them. Later, I looked at some images of Russian Santas in Google.

Another shop I like is Willow's End. It's a specialty yarn and needlecraft shop. They have a lot of needlecraft kits and sewing notions. They also have Lomonosov porcelain teapots with matching teacups and saucers in different patterns. Here's a link to a retail website for Lomonosov Porcelain: http://www.therussianshop.com/russhop/lomonosov/oddsandends.htm The colors are always blue, white and gold. This shop also has the best selection of teacups and saucers for collectors that I've ever seen. I bought my mother three of them for Christmas two years ago.

Across the street is another shop, The Village Store. They have the Fiestaware that my mother likes and I buy a couple pieces for my mother every year. The only thing that disappointed me was when the company changed the pale yellow to a deeper, more orangey yellow that I don't like as much. My mother wanted to buy some smaller sandwich or salad plates to match the dinner plates that she had. They also have a few pieces of cottage furniture that I like very much. Most of the things I absolutely adore are beyond my price range. Last year, I bought an 8" round plate with a handpainted rooster from the same gift shop from a company called "Present Tense." I just found out that this company closed. I had planned to buy another one as a gift for someone else this year. This shop also specializes in Quimper pottery (pronounced "Campere") http://www.willishenry.com/spring2004/sp04-41aweb.jpg

I stopped at the St. Nicholas Shop, another Christmas store. They had a display case full of every dog imaginable from the Castagna company that I just discovered earlier this summer at another gift shop in Belgrade Lakes. In Belgrade, at the "Brass Knocker Gift Shop", they have Artesania Rinconada collectibles (animals) that I haven't seen anywhere until I found them at this gift shop. The workmanship is very, very good and they're fairly reasonable priced.

Mung Bean is a craft gallery that displays the work of many local or regional artists. They have many copper enamel sculptures (birds and other things) displayed on the walls. They really show up on the painted white walls. They had a new craft on display called "Scherinschnitte" which is a technique of paper cutting that uses sharp scissors with tiny blades. Here's a link to a website just as an example. However, these look quite different from the ones I saw in the shop.

Scherenschnitte

I stopped at another shop called Cornucopia where I have bought quite a few boxed Christmas cards in the past. They specialize in the Lang Christmas cards but I couldn't seem to find more than a couple that really seemed to catch my attention. Anway, it's only October and I've still got quite a lot of time to worry about that. I also stopped at the Custom House but that's not one of my favorite shops. They do have some blueberry pottery that some people like to collect and some art prints.

I stopped at the the Smiling Cow, a souvenir kind of shop with a clothing department. They had some stone-colored twill pants that I liked but they were all in either Size 6 or Size 16. They had about twenty pairs of them all crowded on a short rack. I had to take them all down and set them down in another place so I could see what size they were.

I stopped in a few other places: Paine's Clothing Store, Sherman's Books & Stationery, Slick's, A Silver Lining and The Ritz (the last two shops are jewelry stores--one just sells estate jewelry.

So, not to bore you any further, that was my shopping trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not boring at all. at least you still have small specialty stores to shop in. Here in AZ it is either total boondocks outside of the city or endless stripmalls and Walmarts within the city.

I have always enjoyed the fall colors. For a long time now I have promised myself that one year I would start out up in Maine and follow the colors back down through the "up east" states and on into Ohio and Indiana (where I was born and raised). Somehow I have never gotten around to doing it, something always comes up. This year I have my 4 year old grandson with me two days a week. Oh well maybe next year.

Last edited:
We had a wind storm 2 days ago. So I spent my day, picking up large branches and hacking them to bits with a dull axe. Then I noticed several "widow makers" just hanging there, so I went to Home Depot and bought a mini chainsaw on a extension pole!
Before playing with my new toy, I put some venison tenderloins, with onions, apples and carrots, in the slow cooker. Then took the dog for her walk.
Then carefully read the how to's of my new toy and began trimming the big maples.
Around 7pm I started a fire and burned as much as I could for a hour. It smelled sooo good.
Now its 9:30 and my suppers ready, but I am too tired and achy to eat.

hypatia said:
Then I noticed several "widow makers" just hanging there, so I went to Home Depot and bought a mini chainsaw on a extension pole!
Ooooh, Evo thinks she needs to go get herself a new toy. Read about the injuries in my new journal when it comes out. :tongue:

It was around 90 dollars. I even noticed some neighbor men oogleing it from behind a bush while I worked. At least I hope that's what they were oogleing.

Would be environmentally better if you let it Dry first, wet wood doesn't combust as well as dry wood does, and it releases more Noxious smoke.

As one who has used many a Chainsaw, please, be careful.

honestrosewater said:
I don't know where I picked up 'dag nabbit' or if that's how you spell it. I did just look up 'dag' : matted or manure-coated wool. :bugeye: And with 'nab' meaning to grab or snatch, I won't be saying 'Dag! Nab it!' anymore... :yuck:

I don't know what you loonies are going on about. I've always said "dagnammit," which is simply a bastardization of "God damn it." I originally picked it up from an episode of The Simpsons. Sometimes I'll say "daggummit," which I picked up from Bill Withers, but I sound like a redneck when I do, so I try to avoid that one.

hypatia said:
It was around 90 dollars. I even noticed some neighbor men oogleing it from behind a bush while I worked. At least I hope that's what they were oogleing.

Chain saw envy is a big deal with men. :smile: On the other hand, what were you wearing? :smile: :smile:

What's Your Perfect Day Like?

As a scientist, I am often asked about my ideal day. Here are the five most frequently asked questions and my answers:

1. What is your perfect day like?

My perfect day would involve waking up early and enjoying a healthy breakfast. Then, I would spend a few hours conducting experiments and analyzing data in the lab. I would also take breaks to discuss my findings with colleagues and brainstorm new ideas. In the afternoon, I would attend a conference or give a presentation on my research. To end the day, I would relax with a good book or watch a documentary related to my field.

2. Do you have a specific routine that you follow for your perfect day?

Yes, I try to stick to a routine to optimize my productivity and focus. I start my day with a cup of coffee or tea and some light stretching. I also make sure to take breaks throughout the day to rest my mind and body and avoid burnout. My routine may vary depending on the specific tasks and experiments I have planned for the day.

3. Is your perfect day solely focused on work or do you make time for other activities?

My perfect day is a balance of work and leisure. While my work is a significant part of my life, I also make time for other activities that bring me joy and relaxation. This could include going for a hike, spending time with friends and family, or trying out a new hobby. Taking breaks and engaging in other activities actually helps me stay focused and motivated in my work.

4. How does your perfect day contribute to your overall goals and aspirations?

My perfect day aligns with my long-term goals and aspirations as a scientist. By dedicating time to my research and staying up-to-date with the latest developments in my field, I am working towards making meaningful contributions to scientific knowledge. Additionally, taking care of my mental and physical well-being through breaks and leisure activities helps me maintain a healthy work-life balance, which is crucial for my overall success and happiness.

5. How often do you get to experience your perfect day?

Unfortunately, due to the nature of my work, I cannot experience my perfect day every day. However, I try to incorporate elements of my perfect day into my daily routine as much as possible. I also make sure to plan and prioritize my tasks to have days that align more closely with my ideal day. Overall, striving for my perfect day helps me stay motivated and driven in my work.