A problem about branch cut in contour integral

In summary, the difficulty with understanding the branch cut introduced to solve the given integral is due to the need for a single-valued and continuous function. The branch cuts are set at the points where the argument of the square root becomes zero or a negative real number, in order to avoid these values and make the square root continuous. This makes the entire function continuous and allows for a solution to the integral using complex analysis.
goodphy
Hello.

I have a difficulty to understand the branch cut introduced to solve this integral.

[tex]\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {dp\left[ {p{e^{ip\left| x \right|}}{e^{ - it\sqrt {{p^2} + {m^2}} }}} \right]} [/tex]

here p is a magnitude of the 3-dimensional momentum of a particle, x and t are space and time coordinates respectively and m is the particle mass. This integral is showed up in the quantum field theory textbook.

The textbook tries to solve this equation by converting it a contour integral in the complex plane. So, p is now replaced with a complex variable z.

[tex]\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {dz\left[ {z{e^{iz\left| x \right|}}{e^{ - it\sqrt {{z^2} + {m^2}} }}} \right]} [/tex]

The textbook said [tex]{\sqrt {{z^2} + {m^2}} }[/tex] must be restricted to a single branch and the branch points are [tex]z = \pm im[/tex] and the branch cuts are convenienly set as shown in the attached image.

upload_2016-12-6_1-5-52.png

Actually, I don't understand why branch cuts are set like this. As far as I know, the branch cut is the line that we never cross with any mathematical operation in order to make a single-valued function. So I think these branch cuts are set in order to make [tex]{{e^{ - it\sqrt {{z^2} + {m^2}} }}}[/tex] the single-valued function but I don't know how.

Could you please tell me why the branch cuts are set like this? How do these branch cuts make the single-valued function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To make the square root continuous, you can remove all values where its argument is zero or real and negative. That's exactly what is done here.
The cuts don't make the function single-valued, but they make the function continuous.

mfb said:
To make the square root continuous, you can remove all values where its argument is zero or real and negative. That's exactly what is done here.
The cuts don't make the function single-valued, but they make the function continuous.

Hello. I'm sorry to reply you lately as I've studied complex analysis further to understand what you said.

I'm afraid that I'm still not understanding your point. It looks you said that a domain of w(z) = z1/2 is restricted to make w(z) continuous.

Could you please give me details of how the domain of w(z) is restricted so it becomes continuous?

The square root is continuous if the argument doesn't get 0 or negative real values.

The argument of your square root is ##z^2+m^2##. m as particle mass is real and positive, therefore ##z^2+m^2=0## has the solutions ##z=\pm i m## and the only way ##z^2+m^2## can be real and negative is ##z=ic## with real ##|c|>m##. By avoiding all those values for z, the argument of the square root is never a negative real number, and it is never zero. Therefore, you can treat the square root as continuous function.

1. What is a branch cut in a contour integral?

A branch cut is a line or curve in the complex plane that is excluded from a contour integral. It is typically used to avoid discontinuities or undefined values in the function being integrated.

2. How does a branch cut affect the value of a contour integral?

A branch cut can change the value of a contour integral by excluding certain points or regions from the integration, thus altering the path of integration and potentially leading to different results.

3. How do you determine where to place a branch cut in a contour integral?

The placement of a branch cut depends on the specific function being integrated. It is typically chosen to avoid discontinuities or undefined values in the function, and often follows patterns based on the function's algebraic properties.

4. Can a branch cut be moved or changed in a contour integral?

Yes, a branch cut can be moved or changed in certain cases. However, this may alter the value of the contour integral and should be done with caution.

5. Are there any techniques for dealing with branch cuts in contour integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques for dealing with branch cuts, such as using Cauchy's residue theorem or carefully choosing the path of integration to avoid the branch cut. It is important to carefully analyze the function and consider the properties of the branch cut when using these techniques.