1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem about virtual work principle for continuous system

1. Sep 25, 2014 #1
    dear all, the virtual work pinciple can be used to derive the equilibrium equations for the mechanical systems. however, when I want to apply it to a continuous system, I found it can not give out the simple equilibrium equations. there should be something wrong with my thinking. I expect some expert could give me some advice. thanks very much.

the problem detail is shown in the pictures:
    ?temp_hash=6d6e7f4af8c86c722c9691e10596df20.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2
    The virtual work needed to compress (or elongate) the small element is the stress times the amount of the compression. So,
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    &TA(\delta u+\frac{d \delta u}{dx} dx - \delta u)=TA\frac{d \delta u}{dx} dx,\\
    &\delta W=\int_0^L TA\frac{d \delta u}{dx} dx=TA\delta u|_{x=0}^{x=L}-A \int_0^L \delta u\frac{dT}{dx}dx =TA\delta u|^{x=L}-A \int_0^L \delta u\frac{dT}{dx}dx,
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    where we use integration by parts.
    As [itex]\delta u[/itex] is arbitrary, we have [itex]\frac{dT}{dx}[/itex] anywhere other than the open end[itex]x=L[/itex]. Happily we know that [itex]T=P[/itex] at [itex]x=L[/itex]. We get equation (1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook