A Problem of my Own Device:

• Thread starter vivekrai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, to double the water output from the hose, the tank should be inclined at an angle of 45 degrees.
vivekrai
A cylindrical tank of radius " r " contains water upto height " H " . There is a hose at height " h " from the bottom. At what angle should the tank be inclined (Of course in the direction of the hose) so as to double the water output from the hose?

N.B. Assume necessary simplifications

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on this? We'll need your own input for homework style questions.

Homework type question? I don't think so. This idea came to while doing a work and don't why I'm compelled that it's solvable (and of course it is).

So I posted it here to fetch some idea on what concepts can be used and how so that I can sum up the complete process.

Please Reply If you have any helping ideas.

This is a textbook style question. Therefore it demands your attempt first.

There is no answer regarding 'tilting the tank'. This will have minimal effect on increase flow rate.

I haven't seen such question anywhere in any textbook. Any by the way, I know equations related to Fluid mechanics but I'm hopeless here on how to proceed or use the equation.

Cause In most cases, when I'm able to start I finish it well myself.

A bit edited question then :

A cylindrical tank of radius " r " contains water upto height " H " . There is a hose at height " h " from the bottom. At what angle should the tank be inclined (Of course in the direction of the hose) so as to increase the water output " m " times from the hose?

vivekrai said:
I haven't seen such question anywhere in any textbook. Any by the way, I know equations related to Fluid mechanics but I'm hopeless here on how to proceed or use the equation.

Textbook style. The wording and layout of the question is exactly what you'd find in a textbook - it doesn't have to be from a textbook, just like it.
A cylindrical tank of radius " r " contains water upto height " H " . There is a hose at height " h " from the bottom. At what angle should the tank be inclined (Of course in the direction of the hose) so as to increase the water output " m " times from the hose?

Inclining the tank is going to have a relatively small effect on increasing flow rate.

Your options are either increase water height (or decrease hose height), or increase hose diameter.

vivekrai said:
A cylindrical tank of radius " r " contains water upto height " H " . There is a hose at height " h " from the bottom. At what angle should the tank be inclined (Of course in the direction of the hose) so as to double the water output from the hose?

I will provide you with some hints -

1) The initial velocity of efflux (v1) before tilting the tank is very easy to find out. The problem lies in finding out the v.o.e. after tilting the tank. As it depends only on the height of the water level from the orifice (if area of cross section of the hole << area of cross section of the tank), use simple geometry to find it out in terms of the angle rotated. Make an assumption that on tilting the tank, the water doesnot reach the upper end to make calculations easier.

2) Once you get the height, write the expression for the velocity of efflux (v2) in the second case and use the condition given in the question 2v1 = v2.

If you get stuck in any step, show your work till there and I will be glad to help.

1. What is "A Problem of my Own Device?"

"A Problem of my Own Device" is a phrase used to describe a situation in which a person has created or caused their own issue or difficulty. It is often used to express frustration or self-blame.

2. How do people typically encounter "A Problem of my Own Device?"

People can encounter "A Problem of my Own Device" in various situations, such as when they make a mistake, overlook important details, or ignore warning signs. It can also occur when they make impulsive decisions without considering the consequences.

3. How can someone avoid "A Problem of my Own Device?"

To avoid "A Problem of my Own Device," it is essential to be aware of one's actions and thought processes. Taking the time to carefully consider decisions and potential outcomes can help prevent self-created problems. Seeking advice or guidance from others can also offer a different perspective and help avoid potential issues.

4. Is "A Problem of my Own Device" always negative?

Not necessarily. While "A Problem of my Own Device" often implies a negative situation, it can also refer to a challenge or obstacle that a person has set for themselves as a way to improve or grow. In this case, it can be seen as a positive and motivating force.

5. Can "A Problem of my Own Device" be solved?

Yes, "A Problem of my Own Device" can be solved. By acknowledging and taking responsibility for one's actions, actively seeking solutions, and learning from the experience, individuals can overcome self-created problems and move forward in a more positive direction.