A problem regarding static charge -- rubbing a metal rod with wool

In summary, a metal rod rubbed with wool and held in hand will not show signs of charging, but if the rod has a wooden or plastic handle and is rubbed without touching the metal part, it will show signs of charging. This is because charge is able to leave through the hand to the Earth, but wood or plastic act as insulators while hands are conductors. Additionally, connecting the rod to a body or the Earth will greatly increase the capacitance, resulting in a minimal potential change.
A metal rod held in hand and rubbed with wool will not show any sign of of being charged. However, if a metal rod with a wooden or plastic handle is rubbed without touching its metal part, it shows signs of charging. Why??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. Charge leaves through your hand to Earth. Wood or plastic is insulator, hands are conductor.

anuttarasammyak said:
Hi. Charge leaves through your hand to Earth. Wood or plastic is insulator, hands are conductor.
Just after posting the question I got the answer. But I didn't knew how to delete the thread which I created. Can you help me with this. By the way thanks for the answer.

anuttarasammyak said:
Also : Connecting the rod to a body - or Earth will have the effect of vastly increasing the Capacitance and V=Q/C so the Potential change will be minuscule.

Suggested for: A problem regarding static charge -- rubbing a metal rod with wool

Back