A problem that i spotted about expansion;

• Thread starter Cryphonus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the formula for thermal expansion is not accurate for large values of the coefficient of thermal expansion. As the value of λ increases, the resulting length calculated using the formula becomes increasingly inaccurate. This can be seen when using the example of a metal stick expanding and then contracting with changes in temperature. The formula only holds true for small values of λ, and becomes unreliable for larger values.
Cryphonus

Homework Statement

So this question was on my mind for about 2 years and since i discovered such a good forum i wanted to ask to get an answer;I asked this question to various instructors but couldn't get an answer unfortunatly, so here it is

The formula to express the expansion for 1 dimension (for a metal stick for example) is:

L=L(initial).λ.Δt

So my problem is the formula itself;

Lets imagine a stick with 10 cm and the temperature of the stick is 10 celcius let's say; After that i decided to increase the temperature for 10 celcius more, so our temperature is 20 celcius and eventually our stick is going to expand a bit,

L=L(initial). λ.Δt

L initial(Lets take it 10 meters) So:

L(for 20 celcius)=10.λ(which is a constant doesn't matter in this case).10 (change in the temperature)

We calculated the new length of the stick no problem so far;

The temperature of the environment is 20 celcius at them moment; so i want to cool the air a little by bringing the temperature to 10 celcius again.If we calculate the new situation now;

L=L(the value for 20 celcius which is bigger than 10 meters for sure, let's take it 12 in that case).λ(constant doesn't matter).Δt (which is again 10)

so the value that we find is actually much bigger than the one for 10 celcius,since our L is bigger at 20 celcius ,our stick should be much more small then 10 meters which was our initial value,

If you try this you will also see that the stick will go to 0 if we keep changing the temperature to 10-20.If we do this infinite times our stick should be vanished according to the mathematical equation.

Waiting for your answers thanks a lot;

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your premise is wrong. This is not the formula for thermal expansion.

The change in length (not the full length) is a linear function of temperature change and initial length:

[tex]\Delta L = L_0\lambda\Delta t[/tex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the co-efficient of thermal expansion.

[tex]L = L_0(1 +\lambda\Delta t)[/tex]

AM

I think the OP is pointing out a problem with the linear expansion formula for large values of λ. For example, say λ = 0.05 and the rod starts out with a length L0 of 10 m.

For ΔT = +10 degrees, we have L1 = 10 + .05*10*10 = 15 m.

If we then cool it down by 10 degrees (to its original temperature), we get:
L'0 = 15 - .05*15*10 = 7.5m ... which is smaller than it started out!

The answer is that the expansion formula only makes sense when λ*ΔT is small enough. (Usually, λ << 1.)

Last edited:

1. What is expansion in the context of science?

Expansion in science refers to the increase in size, volume, or quantity of a substance or system. This can occur due to various factors such as temperature changes, chemical reactions, or physical processes.

2. What are some examples of expansion in everyday life?

Some examples of expansion in everyday life include the expansion of air in a balloon when it is heated, the expansion of metal objects when exposed to high temperatures, and the expansion of water when it freezes into ice.

3. How does expansion affect the properties of a substance?

The effects of expansion on the properties of a substance depend on the specific substance and the conditions of expansion. In general, expansion can change the density, thermal conductivity, and electrical conductivity of a substance.

4. What are the potential problems associated with expansion?

One potential problem associated with expansion is structural damage. When a substance expands, it can put pressure on its surroundings and cause cracks or deformation. This can be a concern for buildings, bridges, and other structures.

5. What can be done to mitigate the effects of expansion?

To mitigate the effects of expansion, engineers and scientists use various techniques such as designing structures with room for expansion, using materials with low coefficients of thermal expansion, and implementing systems to control temperature changes. In some cases, it may also be necessary to monitor and manage expansion through regular maintenance and repairs.