A problem with Gravitational and Elastic Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy transfer in two different formulas and the reason for the difference in results. The topic involves a weight hanging at 1 meter high and its equilibrium when connected to a spring. It is mentioned that the weight will have a 5J kinetic energy and swing for a period of time. The energy check can be done when the weight reverses direction, at its lowest point with an extension of two meters and a drop of 2 meters. The conversation ends with gratitude for helping to understand the concept.
Poppy38
I am calculating the energy transfer in two different formulas and they are giving different results. What could be the reason of this difference? I would be grateful if someone tell me what i am missing here.

http://s18.postimg.org/o4tknn77d/potential.jpg

Attachments

• potential.jpg
    potential.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Poppy (!?) :smile: welcome to PF !

Does the weight hang still in the picture ?

The weight was at 1m high in pic.1
Then you connect it with the spring and release, it stays in equilibrium like pic.2

What happens if you release the weight ?
In particular: at the equilibrium line. Does it stop going down abruptly at this equilibrium line ?

So, is it going to have a 5J kinetic energy and swing for a time ?

You got it !
A point where you can do the energy check is when the weight reverses direction, i.e. at the lowest point: there the extension is two meters and the drop is 2 meters as well.

I've been thinking this for 3 days and at last i got it here. thanks so much :)

You're welcome !

1. How are gravitational and elastic potential energy related?

Gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy are both forms of potential energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field, while elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. Both forms of potential energy involve the displacement of an object from its equilibrium position and can be converted into other forms of energy.

2. What is the difference between gravitational and elastic potential energy?

The main difference between gravitational and elastic potential energy is the type of force involved. Gravitational potential energy is associated with the force of gravity, while elastic potential energy is associated with the force of elasticity. Gravitational potential energy is dependent on the mass and height of an object, while elastic potential energy is dependent on the stiffness of the material and the amount of stretch or compression.

3. What are some real-life examples of gravitational potential energy?

Some common examples of gravitational potential energy include a roller coaster at the top of a hill, a book on a shelf, and a pendulum at its highest point. In each of these situations, the object has potential energy due to its position in a gravitational field. This energy can be converted into kinetic energy as the object moves downwards.

4. How can we calculate the potential energy of an object?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy involved. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE = 1/2kx², where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

5. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when an object is in a position lower than its reference point, or equilibrium position. For example, a pendulum at its lowest point has a negative gravitational potential energy compared to when it is at its highest point. This negative potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy as the object moves upwards.