1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A protons Min KE

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton is confined in a uranium nucleus of radius 7.41 fm. Determine the proton's minimum kinetic energy K less than or equal to delta K according to the uncertainty principle if the proton is well approximated by a Gaussian wave packet confined by the nuclear diameter.

2. Relevant equations

change in momentum * change in x is greater than or equal to h(bar)/2
    I don't know

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the minimum change in momentum but can't seem to relate that to the minimum KE. I tried change KE= change in p*c but that was wrong.
    since it is confined by the diameter do I times the radius by 2? Thats how I did it.

dx=14.82E-15 m
    h(bar)/2=1.0546E-34/2=5.273E-35
    5.273E-35/14.82E-15= 3.54E-21
    3.54E-21*3E8= 1.0674E-12 J

But this is wrong and I don't have a clue as to why. Can someone help me out please?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all, try to put units on ALL of your quantities, ok? Otherwise, people can only guess what '3.54E-21' might be supposed to stand for. Having said that, it looks like you got delta(p) ok. But I am completely unable to guess what the '3E8' in the last line might be. How do you go from momentum to energy?

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, I get it. You really are using p*c=E!!! That only holds for massless particles. The proton is hardly massless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?