1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A pyranometer, a device that measures sunlight intensity

1. Apr 5, 2006 #1
    I am to use a pyranometer, a device that measures sunlight intensity. I am confused about the output unit it produces. It says on it's side [itex]
    4.55 \cdot V/\left( {W \cdot m^{ - 2} } \right) [/itex] but I'm not sure how to interpret this unit. All help will be appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It appears to output Volts, if it reads 1 V out you have 4.55 [itex] \frac W {m^2} [/itex]

If you could post the name and model number perhaps we could give better information.

4. Apr 5, 2006 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That's exactly what it is doing. That's your scale factor for calibration. You should have a calibration curve with the instrument. If it's relatively linear, then it's easy to display what you are reading. If it's not linear the manufacturer would supply a curve fit for the cal interval.

5. Apr 6, 2006 #4
    Thanks. The number wasn't quite correct though. It is 4.55 µV instead of V. My logging software measures mV and when I tested it on a semi-overcast day it read about 0.02 mV which results in a value of 0.02 mV/4.55 µV = 4.39 W/m2, which doesn't make sense. The number should be much higher, despite the fact that the sky is overcast. One uses 7-800 W/m2 as an estimated maximum for direct sunlight, so 4.39 is ridiculously low. Any idea why? Or am I doing something completely wrong?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  6. Apr 6, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Perhaps on a voltage that low, your acquisition might not be capable to measure that low of a voltage. Perhaps you need some signal conditioning prior to the readout.

7. Apr 6, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't seem rediculously low to me. Our perception of light intensity is not linear, so it doesn't seem at all unreasonable for the intensity of a cloudy day to be 1/200th of direct sunlight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook