Finding a Tangent Point with a Given Slope on a Cubic Curve

• Thread starter stonecoldgen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, to find a point P on the curve y=x3 where the tangent line at P intersects the curve again at point Q with a slope that is 4 times the slope at P, we can use the equations y'=3x2 and the slope formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). By setting 2P=Q and using algebra to express Q in terms of P, we can find two unknowns a and c. We can then write the equation of the tangent line at P and use the given slope condition to solve for the values of a and c.
stonecoldgen

Homework Statement

Find a point P on y=x3 such that the tangent at P intersects the original curve again at point Q so that the slope of the tangent at Q is 4 times the slope of the tangent at P.

Homework Equations

y'=3x2

and the slope of the what I think it should be a secant line=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that 2P=Q because 3P2=(3/4)Q2 and then by using algebra I expressed Q in terms of P.

I know this leads to somewhere, but I am not sure what should I do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
But P and Q are points. So P2 and Q2 don't make any sense. Try writing P = (a,a3) and Q= (c,c3) so you have two unknowns a and c. Write the equation of the tangent line at P and use the two facts that it must intersect Q and the slope condition you are given.

1. What are derivatives and how do they work?

Derivatives are financial instruments that derive their value from an underlying asset, such as stocks, commodities, or currencies. They work by giving investors the right to buy or sell the underlying asset at a predetermined price in the future.

2. What are the different types of derivatives?

The three main types of derivatives are options, futures, and swaps. Options give the holder the right to buy or sell the underlying asset at a predetermined price, while futures obligate the holder to buy or sell the asset at a future date. Swaps involve the exchange of cash flows between two parties based on the performance of an underlying asset.

3. What is the purpose of using derivatives?

Derivatives serve several purposes, including hedging, speculation, and arbitrage. Hedging involves using derivatives to manage risk by offsetting potential losses in the underlying asset. Speculation is the use of derivatives to make a profit by predicting the future movements of the underlying asset. Arbitrage involves exploiting price discrepancies between different markets.

4. What are the risks associated with derivatives?

The main risks associated with derivatives include market risk, credit risk, and liquidity risk. Market risk refers to the potential losses due to changes in the value of the underlying asset. Credit risk is the risk of default by one of the parties involved in the derivative contract. Liquidity risk is the risk of not being able to sell the derivative at a desired price due to a lack of buyers.

5. How are derivatives regulated?

Derivatives are regulated by various government agencies and financial institutions to ensure transparency, stability, and fair practices in the market. In the United States, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) are the main regulators of derivatives. Additionally, financial institutions also have internal risk management systems in place to monitor and regulate their use of derivatives.