1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about common emitter amplifier

1. Feb 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello my fellow PF mates! Today i received my electronic textbook from Russia. The book is great, however i cant explain myself one single equation, but i hope you will help me:-)

The question is about the blocking capacitor in a common emitter amplifier. R1 and R2 are the voltage divider resistors (sorry, but i still havent learned how to post images) and C is the blocking capacitor.
    There is one relationship that i cant figure out.
    2. Relevant equations
    The textbook says that when choosing C, C>= 1/2пf(R1||R2)
    My question is why C should be equal or greater then 1/2пf(R1||R2)?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What are the major contributing factors to the input impedance of the circuit?

4. Feb 19, 2016 #3
    The input impedance is 8kOhms and the frequency is 200Hz, for this is used a capacitor of 0.1uF

5. Feb 19, 2016 #4

berkeman

What are the two functions of the input DC blocking capacitor in the CE amplifier circuit?

http://webpages.ursinus.edu/lriley/ref/circuits/img119.gif
    img119.gif

6. Feb 19, 2016 #5
    As far as i know, the blocking capacitor have 2 main uses. 1st they block DC and allow only AC to pass and 2nd they incidentaly serve as a high pass filter and must be calculated for the working frequency so that they dont cause any trouble. But as i see now, maybe i didnt formulated correctly my question -- How do we calculate that capacitor and what its value depends upon?

7. Feb 19, 2016 #6

berkeman

Correct. So to be a HPF, that input C and the two input base bias resistors have to have a certain relationship. And it looks like that relationship is the equation you posted in your first post... :smile:

8. Feb 19, 2016 #7
    Thank you verry much for youre help! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted