A question about dehumidifiers and condensation

In summary: True, but unfortunately I can't find much on condenser heat sink design as they are normally larger and use finned pipes with gas or fluid refrigerant instead.So what do you actually want to achieve? I still think that the cold sink temperature needs to be as low as possible and that is why it's relative small. There is a problem in getting rid of the condensate fast enough because it tends to act as an insulator, increasing the equilibrium temperature of the surface in contact with the air. The hot sink needs to work with radiation or convection whereas the cold sink works by contact with the damp air and should avoid heat gain by radiation as that would reduce the condensation rate.
YoshiBeans
Hi guys!

My question is about the heat sinks (cold side) used in some dehumidifiers. It appears that thick, well spaced fins are used, as opposed to a larger number of thin fins, which I would expect to provide better heat transfer.

download.jpg

Am I right in assuming that this is to allow space for water droplets to form and fall without bridging the gap between fins?

Or is it because the extra surface area would be conterproductive as it would mean a larger quantity of air would need to be reduced to the dew point before the heat transfer becomes useful? If so, would the multiple thin fins be more efficient in the hyperthetical case of 100% humidity?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Johann

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A small cold sink will reach a lower temperature for a given rate of heat transfer. I would imagine that would make for more effective condensation because you want to be well below the dew point.

Likes Nik_2213
sophiecentaur said:
A small cold sink will reach a lower temperature for a given rate of heat transfer. I would imagine that would make for more effective condensation because you want to be well below the dew point.

So you would agree with the hypothetical about the 100% humidity?

YoshiBeans said:
So you would agree with the hypothetical about the 100% humidity?

I guess so. But the point of a dehumidifier is to reduce humidity, is it not? Otoh, if it is used as a condenser, the design could be different (?).

sophiecentaur said:
I guess so. But the point of a dehumidifier is to reduce humidity, is it not? Otoh, if it is used as a condenser, the design could be different (?).

True, but unfortunately I can't find much on condenser heat sink design as they are normally larger and use finned pipes with gas or fluid refrigerant instead.

So what do you actually want to achieve?
I still think that the cold sink temperature needs to be as low as possible and that is why it's relative small. There is a problem in getting rid of the condensate fast enough because it tends to act as an insulator, increasing the equilibrium temperature of the surface in contact with the air. The hot sink needs to work with radiation or convection whereas the cold sink works by contact with the damp air and should avoid heat gain by radiation as that would reduce the condensation rate. (I just thought of that but I think it must be relevant)

1. How does a dehumidifier work?

Dehumidifiers work by pulling in air from the surrounding environment and passing it over a series of cold coils. As the air passes over these coils, the moisture in the air condenses and collects in a reservoir or drains out of the unit. The drier air is then released back into the room.

2. What causes condensation in a room?

Condensation occurs when warm air comes into contact with a cold surface, causing the moisture in the air to turn into liquid water droplets. In homes, this often happens in rooms with poor ventilation or high humidity levels, such as bathrooms and basements.

3. Do dehumidifiers help with mold and mildew?

Yes, dehumidifiers can help prevent mold and mildew growth by reducing the moisture levels in a room. These fungi thrive in damp environments, so using a dehumidifier can make it harder for them to grow and spread.

4. How often do I need to empty the dehumidifier's water reservoir?

The frequency of emptying the water reservoir depends on the size of the unit and the humidity level in the room. Generally, smaller dehumidifiers will need to be emptied more often. It's best to check the reservoir regularly and empty it when it's close to full.

5. Can a dehumidifier be used in all rooms of the house?

Dehumidifiers can be used in most rooms of the house, but they may not be necessary in all rooms. They are most commonly used in areas with high humidity levels or poor ventilation, such as basements, bathrooms, and laundry rooms. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not use a dehumidifier in a room that is too small for the unit's capacity.