1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about fluids and tubes

1. Aug 27, 2015 #1
    My physics teacher cooked up an experiment today on the fly where we tried to calculate the horizontal distance traveled, D, from a rubber tube through which water was siphoned from a graduated cylinder elevated a certain distance H from the ground:
    cP0DqsS.png
    He modified an experiment he had found of the same sort but with a hole in the cylinder instead, in which case he could use Torricelli's Law to find that [itex]v=sqrt(2gh)[/itex] for water exiting with the surface a distance of h above the hole and basic kinematics to find the horizontal distance upon impact with the ground. We tried the same equations with h being the height of the tube above the opening and the calculations gave a distance that was much farther than the actual distance. What is the proper way to go about this problem and why did the application of the same equations give such a gross overshoot?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How does flow through a tube differ from flow through an orifice?

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3
    So what you are saying is that if you move the top curve of the siphon higher or lower, using the "same equations" the distance d should vary?
    Seems that you have forgotten something about the hose.

5. Aug 28, 2015 #4
    Evidently I have forgotten something, but I don't know what it is. I'm not exactly sure what is different between flow out of an orifice and a tube.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook