Relativity: Is Faster Light Travel Possible?

• Thread starter Jim Beam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, according to relativity, two objects moving toward each other through space in un-accelerated motion have equal right to declare themselves stationary and viewing the other as moving. However, this does not mean that either photon can claim to be stationary.
Jim Beam
according to relativity, two objects moving toward each other through space in un-acclerated motion have equal right to declare themselves stationary and viewing the other as moving. if two photons are approaching each other at the speed of light, is it not correct for one of the photons to claim its stationary existence while viewing the other approaching at twice the speed of light? If that's a correct assumption, then technically, faster the light travel would a reality. I know I've probably got something wrong, which is why i am asking you all if its a possibility.

Physics news on Phys.org
When two things are going very fast (relative to a stationary observer), the speed relative to each other is not gotten by simple addition. The general formula is:

u=(v+w)/(1+v*w/c2), where v and w are the individual speeds and u is the relative speed between the two things. Note that for v=w=c, then u=c.

What mathman said!

In other words, either light ray would "see" the other approaching AT the speed of light.

i knew the light rays would see each other moving at the speed of light, but what i didn't know was why. thanks for the help guys.

Jim Beam said:
according to relativity, two objects moving toward each other through space in un-acclerated motion have equal right to declare themselves stationary and viewing the other as moving.
Perfectly true.
if two photons are approaching each other at the speed of light, is it not correct for one of the photons to claim its stationary existence while viewing the other approaching at twice the speed of light?
If you naively plug in u=v=c in the relativistic velocity addition formula, you find the relative speed to be c. However, I would not put too much trust in this result. The reason for that is that a photon cannot claim its own stationary existence. (There has been some discussion here about this issue, do a PF search for a universe containing a single photon.) The "rest frame of a photon" is extremely ill defined from the vantage point of relativity, and no meaningful physics can be done using it. If we try to define it by Lorenz boosting to the photon frame, we find that space is infinitely contracted and time is infinitely dilated. Hence a photon is not aware of its own existence, or the existence of the rest of the universe. It experiences no awareness of either time or space from the moment it is created to the moment it is destroyed (here 'moment' is defined by some inertial massive observer), nor is it aware of the other photon. Hence I don't think that it is physically meaningful within SR to ask what speed does a photon "measure" for another photon - it cannot measure to begin with. But I might be wrong, and in any case if the question of the speed of one photon relative to the answer has a physically meaningful answer, it must be c.

Last edited:

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental concept in physics that describes how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and how the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. It includes both the theories of special relativity and general relativity.

2. What is the speed of light according to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity states that the speed of light is a constant, meaning it does not change regardless of the observer's relative motion. This speed is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

3. Is faster-than-light (FTL) travel possible according to the theory of relativity?

According to the theory of relativity, it is not possible for an object with mass to travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and would require an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light. Therefore, FTL travel is currently considered impossible.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel, and it is considered a fundamental constant in the universe.

5. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light in the theory of relativity?

There are no exceptions to the speed of light in the theory of relativity. However, there are some phenomena, such as the expansion of the universe, that appear to be moving faster than the speed of light. This is due to the expansion of space itself, rather than objects actually moving faster than light.