A question about non-Newtonian fluids in a "Transport Phenomena" book

In summary, Mr. Chestermiller states that for a purely viscous non-Newtonian fluid, the equation used is the same as for a Newtonian fluid, as explained in the book by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. Specifically, in the 2nd edition of the book from around 2000, this information can be found in Section 8.3 on page 241.
Ahmed Naji
TL;DR Summary
I search for a specific text in specific book
In this topic >> https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/stress-tensor-for-non-Newtonian-fluid.860240/
Mr. Chestermiller replies that "For a purely viscous non-Newtonian fluid (not viscoelastic), you use exactly the same form of equation as for a Newtonian fluid (see Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot)". Actually, this reply is the exact answer what I searching for.
Can anyone tell me what is the page of the given book which say that ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
According to my index, page 79 for Newtonian Fluids, and 101 for non-Newtonian. Mine's an older book, copyright 1960. I'm not sure if there are recent additions that might change the page numbering.

I don't know that you will find the exact quote from the post in the same exact wording in the book. You may have to do some reading and thinking on it.

Ahmed Naji said:
Summary:: I search for a specific text in specific book

In this topic >> https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/stress-tensor-for-non-Newtonian-fluid.860240/
Mr. Chestermiller replies that "For a purely viscous non-Newtonian fluid (not viscoelastic), you use exactly the same form of equation as for a Newtonian fluid (see Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot)". Actually, this reply is the exact answer what I searching for.
Can anyone tell me what is the page of the given book which say that ?
Section 8.3, page 241, 2nd Edition circa 2000.

Last edited:
Likes ChemAir

1. What are non-Newtonian fluids?

Non-Newtonian fluids are liquids or gases that do not follow the traditional Newtonian law of viscosity, which states that the shear stress of a fluid is directly proportional to its shear rate. Instead, the viscosity of non-Newtonian fluids can change depending on factors such as shear rate, temperature, and pressure.

2. How do non-Newtonian fluids behave differently from Newtonian fluids?

Unlike Newtonian fluids, the viscosity of non-Newtonian fluids can change depending on the applied force or stress. This means that their flow behavior can vary from being thick and viscous to thin and runny. They may also exhibit properties such as shear-thinning, where the viscosity decreases with increasing shear rate, or shear-thickening, where the viscosity increases with increasing shear rate.

3. What are some examples of non-Newtonian fluids?

Some common examples of non-Newtonian fluids include ketchup, toothpaste, blood, paint, and lava. These fluids exhibit different flow behaviors and viscosities depending on the shear rate or applied stress.

4. How are non-Newtonian fluids used in industry?

Non-Newtonian fluids have a wide range of industrial applications, such as in food processing, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and oil drilling. Their unique flow properties make them useful for tasks such as thickening, suspending particles, and controlling the viscosity of products.

5. What are some challenges in studying and understanding non-Newtonian fluids?

One of the main challenges in studying non-Newtonian fluids is the complexity of their behavior. Their viscosity can change drastically depending on various factors, making it difficult to predict and model their flow. Additionally, there are many different types of non-Newtonian fluids, each with their own unique properties and behaviors, making it challenging to generalize their behavior.