Are pq and qp always 3-cycles?

In summary, the products pq and qp of the permutations (2 3 4) and (1 3 5) were seen to be different, but both turned out to be 3-cycles. This is not an accident and can be proven through group theory by showing that pq and qp are conjugate, meaning they have the same cycle structure.
Brucezhou

Homework Statement

In the text, the products pq and qp of the permutations (2 3 4) and (1 3 5) were seen to be different. However, both products turned out to be 3-cycles. Is this an accident?

Homework Equations

p=(3 4 1)(2 5)
q=(1 4 5 2)
where p and q are permutations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on many examples I made, this is obviously not an accident. For example, if the product is equal to (1 3 4)(5 2)(6), then the other product will also in the form (a b c)(d f)(e). However, I cannot come up with a general way to prove the truth. I have tried to find any relationship between the number of fixed numbers(the number just moves to itself after permutation, such as "6" in the previous example) and the product, but it doesn't show any regality. The truth is that if a number is fixed in both permutations, then it must be fixed in the products.

Physics news on Phys.org
Brucezhou said:

Homework Statement

In the text, the products pq and qp of the permutations (2 3 4) and (1 3 5) were seen to be different. However, both products turned out to be 3-cycles. Is this an accident?

Homework Equations

p=(3 4 1)(2 5)
q=(1 4 5 2)
where p and q are permutations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on many examples I made, this is obviously not an accident. For example, if the product is equal to (1 3 4)(5 2)(6), then the other product will also in the form (a b c)(d f)(e). However, I cannot come up with a general way to prove the truth. I have tried to find any relationship between the number of fixed numbers(the number just moves to itself after permutation, such as "6" in the previous example) and the product, but it doesn't show any regality. The truth is that if a number is fixed in both permutations, then it must be fixed in the products.

No, it's not an accident. Do you know any group theory? If two permutations are conjugate then they have the same cycle structure. Can you show pq and qp are conjugate?

Dick said:
No, it's not an accident. Do you know any group theory? If two permutation are conjugate then they have the same cycle structure. Can you show pq and qp are conjugate?
Group is in the next chapter. Thank you very much. I am learning that chapter.

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging a set of objects or elements in a specific order. It is a mathematical concept related to combinations and is often used in statistics, probability, and computer science.

2. How many permutations are there for a given set of objects?

The number of permutations for a set of n objects is equal to n!, where the exclamation mark represents the factorial function. For example, if we have 4 objects, there are 4! = 24 possible permutations.

3. What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects in a specific order, while a combination is a selection of objects without regard to their order. For example, the permutations of {A, B, C} are ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA, while the combinations are AB, AC, BC.

4. How do permutations relate to probability?

Permutations are often used in probability to calculate the number of possible outcomes in an experiment. The probability of an event occurring is equal to the number of favorable outcomes divided by the total number of possible outcomes.

5. Can permutations be used in real-life applications?

Yes, permutations have various real-life applications, such as in genetics, cryptography, and music theory. They can also be used in problem-solving and decision-making processes.