A question about <The Quantum Theory of Fields> P.120

In summary, the Quantum Theory of Fields by Steven Weinberg discusses the behavior of W(t) and its matrix elements between energy eigenstates. If the matrix elements of W between H0 - eigenstates are sufficiently smooth functions of energy, then matrix elements of W(t) between smooth super-positions of energy eigenstates vanish as t approaches positive or negative infinity. This is because the high-frequency limit of a Fourier transform of a smooth function goes to zero at ω = ±∞, implying that the matrix elements of W(t) are diagonal and vanishing in the limit.
Sam Wong
The Quantum Theory of Fields, Steven Weinberg, P.120

above 3.3.24, it says,

If the matrix elements of W between H0 - eigenstates are sufficiently smooth functions of energy, then matrix elements of W(t) between smooth super-positions of energy eigenstates vanish for t→±∞

I can't get this. Could anyone please show this explicitly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I'm not sure, but here's a stab.. Weinberg has W(t) ≡ eiH0t W e-iH0t

Take the matrix elements of both sides, between energy eigenstates Ψα and Ψβ.

α,W(t)Ψβ) = eiEαtα,WΨβ) e-iEβt = ei(Eα - Eβ)tα,WΨβ)

Now what he wants us to look at is matrix elements between smooth superpositions of energy eigenstates. So, um, take ∫∫f1(Eα) f2(Eβ) dEα dEβ of both sides, where f1, f2 are arbitrary smooth functions. The point now is that as t → ±∞ the RHS is basically the high-frequency limit of a Fourier transform. But the Fourier transform of a sufficiently smooth function goes to zero at ω = ±∞, so we have to conclude that the RHS is zero in the limit, and hence so is the LHS!

Thanks for your reply!

I was not sure about what he meant by smooth superposition.

I think your understanding make sense.

Bill_K said:
Well I'm not sure, but here's a stab.. Weinberg has W(t) ≡ eiH0t W e-iH0t

Take the matrix elements of both sides, between energy eigenstates Ψα and Ψβ.

α,W(t)Ψβ) = eiEαtα,WΨβ) e-iEβt = ei(Eα - Eβ)tα,WΨβ)

Now what he wants us to look at is matrix elements between smooth superpositions of energy eigenstates. So, um, take ∫∫f1(Eα) f2(Eβ) dEα dEβ of both sides, where f1, f2 are arbitrary smooth functions. The point now is that as t → ±∞ the RHS is basically the high-frequency limit of a Fourier transform. But the Fourier transform of a sufficiently smooth function goes to zero at ω = ±∞, so we have to conclude that the RHS is zero in the limit, and hence so is the LHS!

I read your explanation again and I think your explanation proves that the matrix element of W(t) is diagonal only. It is not guaranteed vanishing for α=β

Related to A question about <The Quantum Theory of Fields> P.120

1. What is the Quantum Theory of Fields?

The Quantum Theory of Fields is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions through fields.

2. What is the significance of page 120 in the book "The Quantum Theory of Fields"?

Page 120 in "The Quantum Theory of Fields" is significant because it introduces the concept of renormalization, which is a crucial technique for dealing with infinities that arise in quantum field theory calculations.

3. Can you briefly explain the concept of renormalization?

Renormalization is a mathematical procedure used in quantum field theory to get rid of infinities that arise in calculations. It involves redefining certain parameters, such as mass and charge, to account for the effects of virtual particles in the field. This allows for more accurate and meaningful predictions to be made.

4. How does the Quantum Theory of Fields differ from classical field theory?

The main difference between the Quantum Theory of Fields and classical field theory is that the former takes into account the probabilistic nature of subatomic particles and their interactions, while the latter assumes deterministic behavior. Additionally, classical field theory does not account for effects of quantum mechanics, such as particle creation and annihilation.

5. What are the practical applications of the Quantum Theory of Fields?

The Quantum Theory of Fields has many practical applications, including in particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It has helped scientists understand and make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles, and has also led to the development of technologies such as nuclear power and medical imaging.