SHM: Choose Sin or Cos to Solve?

• Thread starter Isweer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, the question is about finding the block's position as a function of time in a simple harmonic oscillation problem. The answer is (a) which can be derived by substituting the given values into the general form X=Acos(ωt + ∅). The mistake made was using sine instead of cosine in finding ∅, which resulted in a different answer. However, both sine and cosine are equally valid and can be matched to the first answer using basic trigonometry.
Isweer
I wanted to ask if weather I choose sin or cos makes difference in solving problems.
In this question
A block of mass m=4 kg on a frictionless horizontal table is attached to one end of a spring of force constant k=400 N/m and undergoes simple harmonic oscillations about its equilibrium position (X=0) with amplitude A=6 cm. If the block is at x=6 cm at time t=0, then which of the following equations (x in cm and t in seconds) gives the block's position as a function of time?

a) x=6sin(10t + ∏/2)
b) x=6sin(10t - ∏/2)
c)...
d)...
e)...
the answer is (a) but, what I am asking is that I got cos instead of sin ( from the general form X=Acos(ωt + ∅ )

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could show us some of your work, we could help you.

When I started solving this problem I immediately wrote the general form I learned.
X=A*cos(wt + ∅ ).

Then I started breaking the problem into pieces:

A=6,
w= (k/m)^0.5 = (400/4)^0.5 = 10,
and ∅= sin(inverse) (x at t=0)/A)= sin(inverse) (6/6)= 90 degrees which is ∏/2

by substituting I got:

X=6cos(10t + ∏/2)

so does that mean that using sin or cos doesn't matter? or I have a mistake?

Isweer said:
When I started solving this problem I immediately wrote the general form I learned.
X=A*cos(wt + ∅ ).

Then I started breaking the problem into pieces:

A=6,
w= (k/m)^0.5 = (400/4)^0.5 = 10,

by substituting I got:

X=6cos(10t + ∏/2)

so does that mean that using sin or cos doesn't matter? or I have a mistake?

You've made a mistake. Why did you do this bit?

Why sine?

When you let t = 0 in [itex]6\cos({\omega}t + \varphi)[/itex], you get [itex]6\cos\varphi = 6[/itex], giving [itex]\varphi=0[/itex]. So the equation should simply be [itex]6\cos{\omega}t[/itex].

This is not one of the answers. However, you should be able to see (from basic trig) that [itex]\sin(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}) = \cos\theta[/itex]. So you can match it to the first answer.

It doesn't matter if you use sine or cosine, both are equally valid. They may look different, but if you do the basic math, they're actually identical.

And here, you don't actually have to derive very much. It's easier to just go through the multiple choices to see which fits, i.e. which gives a displacement of 6 when t = 0.

Thanks for help

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. It is commonly seen in systems such as springs, pendulums, and vibrating strings.

2. How do you choose between sin and cos to solve SHM equations?

The choice between sin and cos depends on the initial conditions of the system. If the object is at its equilibrium position at t=0, then cos is used. If the object is at its maximum displacement at t=0, then sin is used. It is important to note that both sin and cos will yield the same mathematical solution, but they represent different physical situations.

3. What are the equations for SHM using sin and cos?

The equation for SHM using sin is x(t) = A*sin(ωt + φ) and the equation for SHM using cos is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

4. What is the difference between angular frequency and frequency in SHM?

Angular frequency (ω) is related to the frequency (f) by the equation ω = 2πf. The difference is that angular frequency is a measure of how quickly the object completes one full cycle of motion, while frequency is a measure of how many cycles occur in one second. Angular frequency is measured in radians per second, while frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz).

5. Can SHM be used to model real-world situations?

Yes, SHM can be used to model many real-world situations such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, or the oscillations of a spring. While these systems may not be perfectly harmonic, SHM can be a useful approximation to understand their behavior.