1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Question on surface tension

1. Nov 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Water rises in a capillary tube to certain height such that the upward surface due to surface tension is balanced by 7.5 X 10-4N
    Force due to weight of the liquid. If the surface tension of water is 6 X 10-2Nm-1,the inner circumference of the capillary must be

2. Relevant equations

pexcess=2T/rcosθ

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that the force of the excess pressure which causes the movement of liquid must be equal to the weight of the liquid.I know excess pressure is 2T/r (θ=0 for water),but how to find the force of this pressure?Is my approach right?

Can we just like that multiply 2T/r with πr2because it is not plain liquid but a meniscus?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2016 #2
    Yes. The upward force is ##(2\pi r) T##. Think of the surface as a membrane with a tensile force per unit length of T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted