Solving a Simple Problem with F = (mg) / 2(ìCosá - Siná) | Kai Solutions

• Thread starter Rodrigue
  • Start date
In summary, Rodrigue is seeking help with a problem involving a prism, coefficient of static friction, and angle. They have successfully calculated the second part of the problem but are unsure about the first part. They also provide clarification on the symbols used. They mention a possible method for solving the first part but are unsure if it is correct. They also bring up a concern about gravity and the ability of a crane to support weight.
Rodrigue
Hi

I have a simple and quick problem, located at: http://www20.brinkster.com/kaisolutions/prism.htm

I have calculated the second part which has been confirmed as correct: F = (mg) / 2(ìCosá - Siná)

But I am not sure how to do the first part which i suppose is easier! Thanks in advance,

Rodgrigue

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry the symbols didnt display correctly:

ì = Coefficient of static friction
á = Angle at the top of the prism

Thanks,

Rodrigue

Maybe this is not as easy as I thought? I thought it would be along the lines:

á = Tan(ì)

Any help is appreciated :)

Rodrigue

Umm. Which way is gravity? The crane will never be able to support a weight by applying downward forces...

1. What is the formula F = (mg) / 2(ìCosá - Siná) | Kai Solutions used for?

The formula F = (mg) / 2(ìCosá - Siná) | Kai Solutions is used to solve simple problems involving force (F), mass (m), gravity (g), and the angle (á) between the force and the ground. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the force needed to lift or move an object at a specific angle.

2. How do you apply this formula to solve a problem?

To apply this formula, you will need to know the values for the mass (m), gravity (g), and the angle (á). Once you have these values, simply plug them into the formula and solve for the force (F). It is important to make sure that all units are consistent (e.g. mass in kilograms, gravity in meters per second squared).

3. What is the significance of the number 2 in the formula?

The number 2 in the formula represents the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is resting on. This value can vary depending on the material of the object and the surface it is on. It is included in the formula to account for the resistance or friction that the object may encounter when being moved at an angle.

4. Can this formula be used for any type of problem involving force?

No, this formula is specifically designed for solving simple problems involving force at an angle. It may not be applicable for more complex problems or situations where other forces are involved.

5. Are there any limitations to this formula?

Yes, this formula assumes that the surface is flat and that the force is being applied at a constant angle. It also does not take into account any external forces that may affect the movement of the object. Additionally, the formula may not be accurate for objects with irregular shapes or non-uniform mass distribution.