Solving a Dumb Math Question: Simplifying Equations with Variables

• Thread starter Roscoe1989
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to simplify the expression a=2bc^3 and b= c/f by eliminating the b's. They attempt to do so by substituting b with c/f in the first equation, resulting in a=2(c/f)c^3. They are unsure if this simplifies to (2c^4)/f or stays the same due to the presence of brackets. They also mention the need to differentiate after simplifying. With the help of berkeman, they realize that the simplified expression is (2c^4)/f.
Roscoe1989

Homework Statement

Ok, so I have a=2bc^3 and b= c/f but I want to get rid of the b's.

Homework Equations

So I know I do a=2(c/f)c^3

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where I get lost (and feel stupid). Does this get simplified to (2c^4)/f? Or, is does it stay the same because the (c/f) is in brackets. I have to differentiate after, which is in itself another problem.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Roscoe1989 said:

Homework Statement

Ok, so I have a=2bc^3 and b= c/f but I want to get rid of the b's.

Homework Equations

So I know I do a=2(c/f)c^3

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where I get lost (and feel stupid). Does this get simplified to (2c^4)/f? Or, is does it stay the same because the (c/f) is in brackets. I have to differentiate after, which is in itself another problem.
Thanks!

The bolded answer is correct. c * c^3 = c^4

Booya! Thank you, berkeman!

What is a really dumb math question?

A really dumb math question is a question that does not make sense or is too simple for a person to consider it a legitimate math question.

Why would anyone ask a really dumb math question?

Sometimes people may ask a really dumb math question as a joke or to test the knowledge of those around them. Other times, it may be because they genuinely do not understand the concept and are seeking clarification.

Is there such a thing as a truly dumb math question?

Yes, there are questions that may be considered truly dumb because they are not related to math at all or have no logical solution. However, it is important to remember that everyone has different levels of understanding and what may seem dumb to one person may not be to another.

Are there any benefits to asking a really dumb math question?

Asking a really dumb math question can help to clarify misunderstandings and deepen understanding of a concept. It can also create a lighthearted and engaging atmosphere for learning.

How should I respond if someone asks me a really dumb math question?

It is important to respond with patience and respect, even if the question seems silly. Offer an explanation or guide the person towards finding the answer themselves. Remember to never make someone feel bad for asking a question, no matter how simple it may seem.