A relativistic electron in a potential box

In summary, the conversation discussed an electron moving at relativistic speed in a potential box and showed that its momentum cannot be expressed using the standard formula. The conversation also derived an expression for the allowed energy states of the electron and compared the relativistic and non-relativistic ground states, finding that the relativistic state is 22% smaller. The conversation also discussed the uncertainty principle and the Schrodinger equation, and ultimately determined the relativistic energy of the electron using the de Broglie wavelength and the relativistic kinetic energy formula.
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

In a potential box (##L = 1.00pm##) an electron moves at a relativistic speed, meaning it's momentum can't be expressed as ##P = \sqrt{2mE}##.

a) Using the uncertainty principle, show that the speed is indeed relativistic
b) Derive an expression for the allowed energy states of the electron
c) By how much (in relative terms) do the relativistic and non-relativistic ground states differ from each other? Answer: The relativistic one is 22% smaller.

Homework Equations

The uncertainty principle:
Momentum and position
\begin{equation}
\Delta p \Delta x \geq \frac{h}{4\pi}
\end{equation}

Energy and time
\begin{equation}
\Delta E \Delta t \geq \frac{h}{4\pi}
\end{equation}

Time independent Shcrödinger equation:
\begin{equation}
\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \Psi (x)}{dx^2} + V(x)\Psi (x) = E\Psi (x)
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Using the uncertainty principle (where ##\Delta x = L##):
\begin{align*}
\Delta p
&= m \Delta v \geq \frac{h}{4 \pi \Delta x} &\iff\\
\Delta v &\geq \frac{h}{4\pi m \Delta x}\\
&=57 885 643.48 m/s\\
&\approx 0.19c
\end{align*}
Since this is the minimum uncertainty (standard deviation) of a normally distributed speed, the expected value of it must be even larger. Therefore the speed must be relativistic (Not sure my logic holds here).

b) We are dealing with a potential box, which to me implies that outside of the box, and at it's edges, ##V(x) \rightarrow \infty##, and inside the box's boundaries ##V(x) = 0##.

Then the time independent Shcrödinger equation becomes:
[tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \Psi (x)}{dx^2} = E\Psi (x)[/tex]

Let's now assume that the equations are of the form: [tex]\Psi (x) = A \sin (kx)[/tex] and [tex]\Psi (x) = B \cos(kx).[/tex] Then by invoking the continuity requirement at ##x = 0##:
[tex]\Psi (0) = B \cos (k 0) \Rightarrow B = 0.[/tex]

On the other hand,
[tex] \Psi (L) = A \sin (kL) = 0 \Rightarrow kL = n \pi \iff k = n \pi L^{-1}.[/tex]

Finally, since we chose to try the functions above as the solutions, we have in both cases:
[tex]\Psi ''(x) = -k^2 \Psi (x).[/tex]

Therefore ##\Psi (x)## is eliminated from the Schrödinger equation, and we have:
[tex]E = \frac{k^2 \hbar^2}{2m} = \frac{(n \pi L^{-1})^2 \hbar^2}{2m} = n^2\frac{\hbar^2 \pi^2}{2mL^2} = n^2 \frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/tex]

This should be our solution. However, isn't this for the classical case? How would I get the relativistic version?

c) Not sure what to do here, at all. If I had an expression for a relativistic energy, this would be a piece of cake. Just take the ratio [tex]\frac{E_{relativistic}}{E_{non-relativistic}}.[/tex]

However, I don't have an expression for the numerator that I could use, since I don't know the actual speed of the electron.

Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schrodinger equation is non-relativistic. So, you can't use it to determine the relativistic energy.

The electron is free inside the box, so you are right to treat the electron as having a definite wavelength. Your allowed values of k look good. Can you determine the relativistic energy from k?

Likes TheSodesa
TSny said:
The Schrodinger equation is non-relativistic. So, you can't use it to determine the relativistic energy.

The electron is free inside the box, so you are right to treat the electron as having a definite wavelength. Your allowed values of k look good. Can you determine the relativistic energy from k?

Well, according to de Broglie:
[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p} = \frac{2\pi}{k} \iff p = \frac{hk}{2\pi},[/tex]
and the total relativistic energy of a particle is
[tex]E = \sqrt{(pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2}
= \sqrt{\left(\frac{hk}{2\pi} c\right)^2 + (mc^2)^2}
= \sqrt{\left(\frac{h\frac{\pi}{L}}{2\pi} c\right)^2 + (mc^2)^2}
=\sqrt{\left(\frac{h}{2L} c\right)^2 + (mc^2)^2}.
[/tex]
I can't believe I didn't remember this before, I just did this a month ago...

Just to check, the non- relativistic case gives me:
[tex]
E = 1^2 \frac{h^2}{8m_e L^2} = 6.024 794 \cdot 10^{-14}J,
[/tex]
and the relativistic one is
[tex]
E = \sqrt{\left(\frac{h}{2L} c\right)^2 + (m_e c^2)^2} = 1.287 114 \cdot 10^{-13}J.
[/tex]

The numbers look a bit off. If I take the ratio ##\frac{E_{relat}}{E_{non-relat}}##, I get something like ##2##, which is way off.

The nonrelativistic energy is the kinetic energy of the particle in the box.

To compare with the relativistic case, you should compare with the relativistic kinetic energy.

(Your calculations look good.)

Likes TheSodesa
TSny said:
The nonrelativistic energy is the kinetic energy of the particle in the box.

To compare with the relativistic case, you should compare with the relativistic kinetic energy.

(Your calculations look good.)

Yeah, that was it.

[tex]E = \sqrt{\left( \frac{h}{2L} c \right)^2 + m^2c^4}-mc^2.[/tex] This gives the correct answer.

Thanks.

1. What is a relativistic electron?

A relativistic electron is an electron that is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light, causing its mass to increase and its behavior to be described by the theory of relativity.

2. What is a potential box?

A potential box, also known as an infinite potential well, is a hypothetical structure in which a particle is confined to a finite space by an infinitely high potential barrier on all sides.

3. How does a relativistic electron behave in a potential box?

A relativistic electron in a potential box experiences a phenomenon known as wave-particle duality, where it exhibits both particle-like and wave-like behavior. This is due to the combination of its high speed and confinement within the potential well.

4. What is the significance of studying a relativistic electron in a potential box?

Studying a relativistic electron in a potential box allows scientists to better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the effects of relativity on subatomic particles. It also has practical applications in fields such as nanotechnology and particle accelerators.

5. What are some real-world examples of relativistic electrons in potential boxes?

One example is the behavior of electrons in the atom, where they are confined by the electric potential created by the nucleus. Another example is in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to high speeds and confined within a potential well to study their properties.