1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A rotating container injected with a liquid

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A massive cylindrical container of inner radius ##R## is rotating freely with an initial angular velocity ##w_0##. A liquid of density ρ is slowly injected into the container, until the container is fully filled except the center of the container. The angular velocity of the whole system reduces to ##w## after the injection. What is the container's moment of inertia, while the gravitational acceleration is ##g##?
    rotating container.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    The moment of inertia equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea at the first place, could someone give me some advices?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi rbwang1225! :wink:

hint: use conservation of angular momentum (you know the density of the liquid is ρ) …

show us what you get :smile:

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    After I tried to solve the problem by angular momentum conservation, I got stuck on the problem of calculation the moment of inertia of the liquid.
    ##Iω_0=I'ω##,
    where ##I## is the moment of inertia of the containerm and ##I'=I+I_{liquid}##.
    I tried to calculate ##I_{liquid}=∫r^2dm##, but had a trouble in the shape of the liquid.
    ##\tan\theta=\frac{w^2r}{g}## The limit of ##r## is from the position ##r## on the curve line to ##R##, but there is a ##z## dependence of the position r. I don't know how to get the relationship.
    However, my way might be in the wrong direction.
    Could you give me some ideas?
    rotating container2.jpg

Sincerely.

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi rbwang1225! :smile:
    you'd have to do it by integration, slicing the liquid (!) into cylindrical shells of thickness dr :wink:

however, i wouldn't bother …

the question doesn't tell you how tall the container is, so i reckon you're entitled to assume that the dip in the middle is too small to matter, and that the water is just a cylinder :smile:

(or is the diagram supposed to be showing the dip actually reaching the bottom of the container? in that case, yes you need to integrate :confused:)

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    OK. Then suppose the liquid forms a cylinder, ##I_{liquid}=\frac{ρVR^2}{2}##.
    But the problem becomes we have no height of the cylinder, how could I overcome this?

Sincerely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook