A rotating container injected with a liquid

In summary, a massive cylindrical container of inner radius ##R## is rotating freely with an initial angular velocity ##w_0##. A liquid of density ρ is slowly injected into the container, until the container is fully filled except the center of the container. The angular velocity of the whole system reduces to ##w## after the injection. The moment of inertia of the container can be calculated by using the equation ##Iω_0=I'ω##, where ##I## is the moment of inertia of the container and ##I'=I+I_{liquid}##. To calculate ##I_{liquid}##, the liquid can be approximated as a cylinder with a height equal to the height of the container. This leads
rbwang1225

Homework Statement

A massive cylindrical container of inner radius ##R## is rotating freely with an initial angular velocity ##w_0##. A liquid of density ρ is slowly injected into the container, until the container is fully filled except the center of the container. The angular velocity of the whole system reduces to ##w## after the injection. What is the container's moment of inertia, while the gravitational acceleration is ##g##?
rotating container.jpg

Homework Equations

The moment of inertia equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea at the first place, could someone give me some advices?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rbwang1225! :wink:

hint: use conservation of angular momentum (you know the density of the liquid is ρ) …

show us what you get :smile:

After I tried to solve the problem by angular momentum conservation, I got stuck on the problem of calculation the moment of inertia of the liquid.
##Iω_0=I'ω##,
where ##I## is the moment of inertia of the containerm and ##I'=I+I_{liquid}##.
I tried to calculate ##I_{liquid}=∫r^2dm##, but had a trouble in the shape of the liquid.
##\tan\theta=\frac{w^2r}{g}## The limit of ##r## is from the position ##r## on the curve line to ##R##, but there is a ##z## dependence of the position r. I don't know how to get the relationship.
However, my way might be in the wrong direction.
Could you give me some ideas?
rotating container2.jpg

Sincerely.

hi rbwang1225! :smile:
rbwang1225 said:
I tried to calculate ##I_{liquid}=∫r^2dm##, but had a trouble in the shape of the liquid.
##\tan\theta=\frac{w^2r}{g}## The limit of ##r## is from the position ##r## on the curve line to ##R##, but there is a ##z## dependence of the position r. I don't know how to get the relationship.

you'd have to do it by integration, slicing the liquid (!) into cylindrical shells of thickness dr :wink:

however, i wouldn't bother …

the question doesn't tell you how tall the container is, so i reckon you're entitled to assume that the dip in the middle is too small to matter, and that the water is just a cylinder :smile:

(or is the diagram supposed to be showing the dip actually reaching the bottom of the container? in that case, yes you need to integrate :confused:)

OK. Then suppose the liquid forms a cylinder, ##I_{liquid}=\frac{ρVR^2}{2}##.
But the problem becomes we have no height of the cylinder, how could I overcome this?

Sincerely.

1. What is the purpose of rotating a container injected with a liquid?

The purpose of rotating a container injected with a liquid is to create a centrifugal force that evenly distributes the liquid within the container. This is especially useful for mixing or blending liquids, as the rotation ensures thorough mixing without the need for stirring.

2. How does the rotation of the container affect the behavior of the liquid?

The rotation of the container creates a centrifugal force that pulls the liquid towards the outer edges of the container. This force causes the liquid to spread out evenly along the walls of the container, creating a thin layer. As the container continues to rotate, the liquid will flow downwards along the walls, creating a swirling motion.

3. What types of liquids are suitable for rotation in a container?

Most liquids can be rotated in a container, as long as they are not too viscous or thick. Examples of suitable liquids include water, oil, and solvents. Liquids with higher viscosity, such as honey or molasses, may not flow as easily and may require a higher rotation speed to distribute evenly.

4. What is the maximum speed at which a container can rotate without causing spills?

The maximum speed at which a container can rotate without causing spills depends on several factors, including the size and shape of the container, the amount and viscosity of the liquid, and the strength of the centrifugal force. Generally, it is recommended to start with a low rotation speed and gradually increase it until the desired effect is achieved, while monitoring for any potential spills.

5. Can the rotation of a container injected with a liquid be used for any other purposes?

Yes, rotating a container injected with a liquid can have various applications in scientific experiments and industrial processes. For example, it can be used to simulate the effects of gravity on liquids in space, to separate different components of a liquid mixture based on their densities, or to coat the inside of a container with a thin layer of liquid for preservation or protection purposes.