A Simple Linear Algebra Problem

In summary, the rows of a 4x2 matrix must be linearly dependent if the rank of the matrix is 0, 1, or 2.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

If A is a 4x2 matrix, explain why the rows of A must be linearly dependent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put...
Since the rank of the matrix is either 0, 1, or 2, I can conclude that the nullility is either 2, 1, or 0. So since there are 4 vectors in a 2 dimensional space, at most two are independent. Therefore the other rows must be dependent. '
Is this anywhere close? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've said is correct, although the last two sentences are what you really want. R2 is 2-dimensional, so any 4 vectors must have dependencies. Of course, however, just from the question itself we can't tell what your professor would expect you to use; that would depend on what he's teaching in class.

So I don't have to add anything else to that? It makes sense, but it seems like that is more of a Chapter 2 explanation (we are in Chapter 5), and I was trying to explain it in a way that deals with our current material. Thanks

In the subject there would be theorems proved that say something to the effect that any set of n+1 vectors in an n dimensional vector space are never linearly independent. These considerations come up when you prove that every basis of a finite dimensional vector space has the same number of vectors; this number is defined to be the dimension. If you've covered this, then I don't see why you can't use the fact that R2 is 2-dimensional.

On the other hand, with the current material, you might say that the column and row rank of a matrix are equivalent (which is what you hinted at), and that the row rank can be at most 2. By definition, row rank is the dimension of the rowspace; if it is less than or equal to 2, then 4 vectors certainly cannot be linearly independent. Essentially, these two arguments are almost equivalent, and they both rely on the concept of a unique dimension. I personally don't know another way to do this problem.

Ok thanks a lot. I will keep what I had, but add a little more explanation.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations between them. It involves the use of matrices and vectors to solve systems of linear equations and represent geometric transformations.

2. What is a simple linear algebra problem?

A simple linear algebra problem is a problem that involves basic operations on matrices and vectors, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. These problems can also include finding solutions to systems of linear equations using methods like Gaussian elimination or finding determinants and inverses of matrices.

3. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides a powerful mathematical framework for solving complex problems and modeling real-world situations.

4. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many real-world applications, some of which include computer graphics, data analysis, machine learning, image and signal processing, cryptography, and optimization problems in economics and engineering.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving a linear algebra problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a linear algebra problem include errors in matrix operations, not following the correct order of operations, forgetting to apply the distributive property, and making mistakes in calculating determinants or inverses of matrices. It is important to double-check calculations and pay attention to detail when solving these types of problems.