• Thread starter Physics lover
  • Start date
In summary: For example,
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The question is in Attempt at a solution
Relevant Equations
2CosACosB=Cos(A+B)+Cos(A-B)
CosACos2ACos4A....Cos##2^n##A=Sin(##2^n##A)/(##2^n##SinA)
IMG-20191016-WA0000.jpg

I started by converting it into radian.
Then i wrote as ##I=Cos(\pi/45)Cos(2\pi/45)...Cos(22\pi/45)
Also I=Cos(44\pi/45)Cos(43\pi/45)...Cos(23\pi/45)##
And then i multiplied the two equations.But it didn't helped me.What shall i do further.

Last edited:
Likes ali PMPAINT
Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't write
I=Cos(pi/45)Cos(2pi/45)...Cos(22pi/45)​
but
I=\cos(\pi/45)\cos(2\pi/45)...\cos(22\pi/45):
$$ I=\cos(\pi/45)\cos(2\pi/45)...\cos(22\pi/45): $$​

Physics lover said:
The question is in Attempt at a solution
Really ! You should know by now that PF doesn't like that !
Homework Equations: ##\quad 2\cos A \cos B=\cos(A+B)+\cos(A-B) ##
$$\cos A\cos (2A) \cos(4A)...\cos (2^n A)=\sin(2^n A)/(2^n\sin A)$$
I don't see this second equation come back in your attempt... it looks promising, but not that some factors in the product don't appear

BvU said:
Please don't write
I=Cos(pi/45)Cos(2pi/45)...Cos(22pi/45)​
but
I=\cos(\pi/45)\cos(2\pi/45)...\cos(22\pi/45):
$$ I=\cos(\pi/45)\cos(2\pi/45)...\cos(22\pi/45): $$​

Really ! You should know by now that PF doesn't like that !
I don't see this second equation come back in your attempt... it looks promising, but not that some factors in the product don't appear

I used in my attempt but it was unsuccessful so ididn't mentioned it.I took out terms from whole series that fits the formula but i cannot proceed further.

Please somebody answer.I am still trying to do it.

I'm stuck. You might try a numerical solution to determine what the correct answer may be. I don't presently see a simple way of combining terms. One item of interest is ## \cos{60^{\circ}}=1/2 ##, but attempts to combine the terms to make them look like ## \cos{60^{\circ}} ## have eluded me.

Likes Delta2
Charles Link said:
I'm stuck. You might try a numerical solution to determine what the correct answer may be. I don't presently see a simple way of combining terms. One item of interest is ## \cos{60^{\circ}}=1/2 ##, but attempts to combine the terms to make them look like ## \cos{60^{\circ}} ## have eluded me.
Thanks for your effort But no worries.I have solved it.i wrote every cos term as sin2A/sinA and the terms cancelled.

Likes Charles Link and BvU
Physics lover said:
Thanks for your effort But no worries.I have solved it.i wrote every cos term as sin2A/sinA and the terms cancelled.
An interesting problem. And I wrote all the terms out, too, following your post. The cancellation isn't a simple one, in that terms like ## \sin(144^{\circ}) ## from ## \cos(72^{\circ})=\sin(144^{\circ})/(2 \sin(72^{\circ})) ## cancels ## \sin(36^{\circ}) ## of ##\cos(36^{\circ})=\sin(72^{\circ})/(2 \sin(36^{\circ})) ##. Surprisingly, every term in the numerator has a match somewhere in the denominator. (Note: ## \sin(36^{\circ})=\sin(144^{\circ}) ##). ## \\ ## Edit: And for ## \cos(60^{\circ})=\sin(120^{\circ})/(2 \sin(60^{\circ})) ##, we have ## \sin(120^{\circ})=\sin(60^{\circ}) ##. ## \\## It should be noted that we can't have a simple pairing where e.g. ## \cos(88^{\circ}) \cdot \cos(x)=\frac{1}{4} ##, because that would mean ## \cos(x) ## would need to be greater than 1 in a couple of cases. ## \\ ## And very good solution @Physics lover :smile: ## \\## Edit: Upon further inspection, the doubled angles in the second quadrant, when their mirror image is mapped into the first quadrant, fill in the gaps so that every four degrees there is a term from the numerator, just like in the denominator.

Last edited:
Likes Physics lover

Related to Exploring a Challenging Trigonometric Problem with Radian Conversions

1. What is a challenging trigonometric problem?

A challenging trigonometric problem is one that requires the application of advanced trigonometric concepts and techniques to solve it. These problems typically involve multiple steps and may require the use of trigonometric identities and other mathematical tools.

2. How do you convert degrees to radians?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula: radians = (degrees * π) / 180. This formula takes the given angle in degrees and multiplies it by pi, then divides by 180 to get the equivalent angle in radians.

3. How does R programming help in exploring challenging trigonometric problems?

R programming is a powerful tool for exploring and solving challenging trigonometric problems. It allows for the manipulation of complex mathematical equations and the visualization of data, making it easier to understand and solve these problems.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working on challenging trigonometric problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working on challenging trigonometric problems include using the wrong trigonometric identities, not simplifying equations properly, and forgetting to convert between degrees and radians. It is also important to check your solutions and make sure they are within the given constraints of the problem.

5. How can understanding radian conversions help in real-life applications?

Understanding radian conversions can be helpful in various real-life applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, converting between degrees and radians is essential for accurately measuring angles and distances in these fields.