How Does Mercury Movement Affect Pressure in a U-Shaped Tube?

• Thread starter Emspak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, a U-shaped tube with a 1 square centimeter cross-section is filled with mercury to a depth of 50 centimeters on each side. One side is capped and the air pressure is 750 Torr, while the other side is connected to a vacuum pump. Assuming a constant temperature, the mercury will move h centimeters on one side and h on the other, with a total distance of 2h. Using the perfect gas law, PV = constant, and the pressure exerted by the mercury (50 times the density of mercury), we can set up an equation to solve for h. With this equation, we can find that the mercury will drop 25 centimeters on the left side and the final pressure
Emspak
A U-shaped Tube problem...

Homework Statement

A u-shaped tube with a 1 square centimeter cross-section is filled with mercury to a depth of 50 centimeters on each side.

One side is capped and the air pressure is 750 Torr. The other side is connected to a vacuum pump.

a) how far does the mercury in the dupe drop on the left side? b) what is the final pressure of the air there?

(We are assuming a constant temperature)

Homework Equations

I'm using the old perfect gas law, PV = constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I know that the mercury will move h centimeters on one side (down) and h on the other (up). So the total distance the mercury moves is 2h.

If I assume that the pressure in the part of the tube where the air is starts at P0V0[itex] and goes to PfinalVfinal I can do this:

[itex]P_0V_0 = P_{final}V_{final}[/itex] because both PVs = nRT.

I also know that the pressure exerted by the mercury is [itex]50{\rho}_{Hg}[/itex] because there are 50 centimeters worth of it at the start.

Since the pressure of the air increases the volume on the left side I know that

[itex]P_{final}V_{final} = P_{final}(V_0+h)[/itex] and since the cross section is 1 cm2 we don't have to worry about area here, it's just 1.

Meanwhile, the mercury will (once everything settles to equilibrium) exerts the same pressure, but it will be [itex]{\rho}_{Hg}(50+2h)[/itex].

That should give me [itex]P_{final}V_{final} = P_{final}(V_0+h) = {\rho}_{Hg}(50+2h)(50+2h)[/itex] and since we know V0 (It's 50) then:

[itex]P_{final}V_{final} = P_{final}(50+h) = (50{\rho}_{Hg}+2h{\rho}_{Hg})(50+2h)[/itex]

And this is where I suspect I am going wrong. Or maybe I just did something algebraically that messed it up. I don't thnik I should be getting h2 factors.

I know the answer it supposed to be 25 centimeters and 500 Torr for the pressure of the air. And sort of intuitively I know it. But I am trying to work this out correctly. I've seen similar problems on the forum here but none quite like this.

EDIT: thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:

Homework Statement

A u-shaped tube with a 1 square centimeter cross-section is filled with mercury to a depth of 50 centimeters on each side.

One side is capped and the air pressure is 750 Torr. The other side is connected to a vacuum pump.

a) how far does the mercury in the dupe drop on the left side? b) what is the final pressure of the air there?

(We are assuming a constant temperature)

Homework Equations

I'm using the old perfect gas law, PV = constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I know that the mercury will move h centimeters on one side (down) and h on the other (up). So the total distance the mercury moves is 2h.

If I assume that the pressure in the part of the tube where the air is starts at P0V0[itex] and goes to PfinalVfinal I can do this:

[itex]P_0V_0 = P_{final}V_{final}[/itex] because both PVs = nRT.

I also know that the pressure exerted by the mercury is [itex]50{\rho}_{Hg}[/itex] because there are 50 centimeters worth of it at the start.

Since the pressure of the air increases the volume on the left side I know that

[itex]P_{final}V_{final} = P_{final}(V_0+h)[/itex] and since the cross section is 1 cm2 we don't have to worry about area here, it's just 1.

Meanwhile, the mercury will (once everything settles to equilibrium) exerts the same pressure, but it will be [itex]{\rho}_{Hg}(50+2h)[/itex].

The mercury is at depth 50 cm in both tubes initially. At the end, it stands 2h higher in the right tube with respect to the mercury level in the left tube. With respect to that level, the pressure must be the same at both sides: At left, it is the pressure of the air. At right, it is the pressure of the 2h high mercury column.

ehild

Attachments

• utube2.JPG
    utube2.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 601
OK, then would that mean the expression I want is

[itex](\rho_{Hg}2h)(2h) = P_{final}(50+h)[/itex]?

because when I use that we get an h2 term and I have a quadratic with no real solutions.

No. Pfinal is Po(50/(50+h))=2hρHg.

ehild

Last edited:
OK, then that means for the mercury side of the equation it's

[itex] (\rho_{Hg}2h)(2h)[/itex] -- but since [itex](\rho_{Hg}2h)=P_{final}[/itex]

the left expression is

[tex]\frac{(P_0)(50)(50+h)}{50+h}=\rho_{Hg}2h(2h)[/tex]

which becomes
[tex]P_{final}(50)=P_{final}(2h)[/tex]

Tht seems right yes?

Last edited:
Emspak said:
OK, then would that mean the expression I want is

[itex](\rho_{Hg}2h)(2h) = P_{final}(50+h)[/itex]?

That equation is wrong. Write the equation for the pressures at both sides.

ehild

I'm a bi confused here. You said the [itex]P_{final} = \frac{(P_0)(50)}{50+h}[/itex]

That means to me that since that pressure has to be the same as the pressure on the other side, and the pressure on that side is [itex](\rho_{Hg}2h)[/itex]

you should get something like [itex](\rho_{Hg}2h) = \frac{(P_0)(50)}{50+h}[/itex]

But that by itself doesn't work. If you solve for H you end up with

[itex](2h)(50+h) = \frac{(P_0)(50)}{\rho_{Hg}}[/itex]
[itex](100h+2h^2)=\frac{(P_0)(50)}{\rho_{Hg}}[/itex]

Which wen you plug the numbers in (pressure is in Torr, so he Hg density factor cancels out)

[itex](100h+2h^2)=(750)(50) [/itex]
[itex]100h+2h^2 = 37500[/itex]

That means to me that you need to multiply both sides by the volume (the PV expression) which gets me the cancellation I had before

[itex](\rho_{Hg}2h\bf2h) = \frac{(P_0)(50)}{50+h}\bf(50+h)[/itex]

Didn't I put the expression for pressure on both sides here? thanks

Emspak said:
I'm a bi confused here. You said the [itex]P_{final} = \frac{(P_0)(50)}{50+h}[/itex]

That means to me that since that pressure has to be the same as the pressure on the other side, and the pressure on that side is [itex](\rho_{Hg}2h)[/itex]

you should get something like [itex](\rho_{Hg}2h) = \frac{(P_0)(50)}{50+h}[/itex]

But that by itself doesn't work. If you solve for H you end up with

[itex](2h)(50+h) = \frac{(P_0)(50)}{\rho_{Hg}}[/itex]
[itex](100h+2h^2)=\frac{(P_0)(50)}{\rho_{Hg}}[/itex]

Which wen you plug the numbers in (pressure is in Torr, so he Hg density factor cancels out)

Right, but the initial pressure is 750 torr which is the pressure of a 750 mm =75 cm high mercury column. The hight of the mercury in the tube is measured in cm-s: 2h=100 cm. Change 750 mm to 75 cm.

Emspak said:
[itex](100h+2h^2)cm2=(750 mm)(50cm) [/itex]
[itex]100h+2h^2 = 3750[STRIKE]0[/STRIKE][/itex]

The correct equation for h is [itex]100h+2h^2 = 3750[/itex] Solve it for h.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Arrggh! Thanks so much. That was a stupid stupid error.

What is a U-shaped Tube problem?

A U-shaped Tube problem is a classic physics experiment that involves a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, usually water. This experiment is used to demonstrate the principles of fluid pressure and equilibrium.

How does the U-shaped Tube work?

The U-shaped tube is filled with a liquid, usually water, and then a divider is placed in the middle of the tube to create two separate chambers. When the liquid reaches equilibrium, the level on both sides of the tube will be the same. This is because the pressure on both sides is equal, and the liquid seeks to find its own level.

What factors affect the U-shaped Tube experiment?

The U-shaped Tube experiment is affected by the density of the liquid, the height of the liquid in each side of the tube, and the difference in height between the two sides. These factors all play a role in determining the equilibrium level of the liquid in the tube.

What is the significance of the U-shaped Tube experiment?

The U-shaped Tube experiment is significant because it demonstrates the principles of fluid pressure and equilibrium. This experiment is commonly used in classrooms to help students understand these concepts and how they apply in real-world situations.

What are some real-world applications of the U-shaped Tube experiment?

The U-shaped Tube experiment has many real-world applications, including measuring blood pressure, determining the height of a building or a mountain, and understanding the functioning of siphons and hydraulic systems.