A "what should I self study this summer?" thread

In summary, the topic of a "what should I self study this summer?" thread involves individuals seeking recommendations for self-study topics during the summer months. Participants in the thread suggest a variety of subjects, such as language learning, coding, and personal development. Some also recommend utilizing online resources and setting specific goals for effective self-studying. Ultimately, the thread highlights the importance of utilizing the summer months for self-improvement and learning new skills.
axmls
I just finished my sophomore year as an electrical engineering major. Now I've got a summer free (well, I work until 4:30), and I'd like to use it to self study something (one or more topics).

So far, I've taken Calculus 1-3 as well as an ordinary differential equations course. I've taken two courses in circuits (one which primarily focused on signals), two courses in digital design, and an introductory mechanics and an introductory E&M physics course.

I was thinking I could study something math-related that would be useful to me down the road. Something like PDEs or Complex Analysis. My second thought was to get a head start on some electromagnetism, but I don't want that to be a waste of time since I'll be taking a course on it anyway.

Any good suggestions as to things that would be helpful for me to learn over the summer? I'm open to things useful to a wide variety of EE areas or related areas of science and math. Emphasis on things important to EE, but perhaps there's something interesting out there that's not particularly helpful, but is still interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Congrats on a successful school year! Don't forget to study and learn non STEM topics so you are a well rounded human being :smile:

Likes axmls
Greg Bernhardt said:
Congrats on a successful school year! Don't forget to study and learn non STEM topics so you are a well rounded human being :smile:

Of course, I always keep a little room for a little history buffing.

. My second thought was to get a head start on some electromagnetism, but I don't want that to be a waste of time since I'll be taking a course on it anyway.
Bad way to think. Learn it on your own if possible so that you do better when you enroll in it to study. Use the free time to prepare.

symbolipoint said:
Bad way to think. Learn it on your own if possible so that you do better when you enroll in it to study. Use the free time to prepare.

I've already done some slight self study on E&M, but I want to explore several options, since there could be some useful topics I should study that I won't be learning in the classroom, yet would be useful to me regardless.

How deeply will you be covering complex analysis and Fourier analysis (they're the same thing basically)? That might be an option?

All of our complex and Fourier analysis is learned on the fly. We are not required to take a formal course in complex analysis. These are probably the ones I'm leaning towards most (in addition to reviewing some chemistry, since we aren't required to take a chemistry course). I have a textbook called "Complex Analysis for Scientists and Engineers" at home that I'm thinking about working through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't discount the value of review. I suggest spending some time doing new problems from old material. Keep those skills sharp.

1. What subjects should I self-study this summer?

The subjects you choose to self-study this summer should align with your personal interests and academic/career goals. It's important to choose subjects that will challenge you and help you grow, but also ones that you are genuinely interested in.

2. How do I choose which resources to use for self-studying?

When selecting resources for self-study, it's important to consider the credibility and quality of the source. Look for reputable textbooks, online courses, and educational websites. It's also helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from others who have successfully self-studied in the subject you're interested in.

3. How do I create a study schedule for self-studying?

Creating a study schedule for self-study can be challenging, but it's important to have a plan in place to stay organized and on track. Start by setting realistic goals for each week, and then break those goals down into smaller tasks to complete each day. Be sure to include breaks and time for rest and relaxation in your schedule to avoid burnout.

4. What are the best study techniques for self-studying?

The best study techniques for self-studying may vary depending on the subject and individual learning style. Some effective techniques include creating outlines or study guides, practicing with flashcards or quizzes, and teaching the material to someone else. It's important to experiment and find what works best for you.

5. How do I stay motivated while self-studying?

Staying motivated while self-studying can be challenging, but it's important to remember your goals and the reasons why you chose to self-study in the first place. Find ways to make the material interesting and engaging, such as creating hands-on projects or finding real-world applications for the subject. Additionally, rewarding yourself for completing tasks or reaching goals can help keep you motivated.