1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A wire lying along the x-axis carries a current of 5.5 A

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wire lying along the x-axis carries a current of 5.5 A in the positive x-direction. It lies in a nonuniform magnetic field, given by B = (2.0 T/m2)x2i + (2.0 T/m2)x2j, with the magnetic field in Tesla and x in meters. (a) If, from your view, the positive x-direction is to the right and the positive y-direction is up, what is the direction of the net force on a section of wire between x = 0 and x = 2.0 meters? (b) What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the section of wire between x = 0 and x = 2.0 meters?

2. Relevant equations

F=IL X B
    F=ILBsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have plugged in the values given and I am pretty sure that the direction of the force is "towards you" (the options are towards you and away from you). I have gotten some values which I think are too big (ie 16 T for the magnetic field).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted