A wire lying along the x-axis carries a current of 5.5 A

In summary, a wire carrying a current of 5.5 A in the positive x-direction is placed in a nonuniform magnetic field with a magnitude of 2.0 T/m^2 in the x and y directions. The net force on a section of wire between x = 0 and x = 2.0 meters is towards the viewer, and the magnitude of the magnetic force on this section is 16 T. There may be some uncertainty in the calculations and interpretation of the problem, so further help or clarification is needed.
jonathng

Homework Statement

A wire lying along the x-axis carries a current of 5.5 A in the positive x-direction. It lies in a nonuniform magnetic field, given by B = (2.0 T/m2)x2i + (2.0 T/m2)x2j, with the magnetic field in Tesla and x in meters. (a) If, from your view, the positive x-direction is to the right and the positive y-direction is up, what is the direction of the net force on a section of wire between x = 0 and x = 2.0 meters? (b) What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the section of wire between x = 0 and x = 2.0 meters?

Homework Equations

F=IL X B
F=ILBsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have plugged in the values given and I am pretty sure that the direction of the force is "towards you" (the options are towards you and away from you). I have gotten some values which I think are too big (ie 16 T for the magnetic field).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if I have plugged in the values correctly into the equations or if I have misinterpreted what the problem is asking. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to A wire lying along the x-axis carries a current of 5.5 A

1. What is the direction of the current in the wire?

The current in the wire is flowing in the positive direction along the x-axis.

2. How is the current measured in the wire?

The current is measured in amperes (A) using an ammeter.

3. What is the significance of the wire lying along the x-axis?

The wire lying along the x-axis indicates the direction in which the current is flowing. It also helps to determine the direction of the magnetic field generated by the current.

4. What is the magnitude of the current in the wire?

The current in the wire has a magnitude of 5.5 amperes.

5. How does the current affect the wire?

The current in the wire produces a magnetic field around it, and also generates heat due to the flow of electrons. It also experiences a force when placed in a magnetic field.