A wire segment 1.2 m long carries a current I = 3.5 A

In summary, the magnetic force vector on the wire segment is pointing in the +x-direction and has a magnitude of 0.50T.
Curious314

Homework Statement

A wire segment 1.2 m long carries a current I = 3.5 A, and is oriented as shown in the figure. The +x-axis points directly into the page. A uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.50 T pointing toward the -x direction is present as shown. What is the magnetic force vector on the wire segment?

Homework Equations

Fm=Il x B

l=1.2m

h sin θ
h cos θ

The Attempt at a Solution

1.2 sin 30° = 0.6m
1.2 cos 30°= 1.04m

Fm= I | i j k |
| 0 1.4m 0.6m |
|0.5T 0 0 |

=3.5 (0.3 j + 0.7 k)
= 1.05 j + 2.45 k

so that's my attempt... but is totally wrong, my answer is not near any of the options. Does anyone knows what am I doing wrong??

Thank you!

Attachments

• pregunta 1.jpg
    pregunta 1.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 929
Physics news on Phys.org
Does 1.2 sin (30) give you the y or the z component of the length?

Also, the direction of the length vector should be in the direction of the current. So, think about the signs of the y and z components of the length vector as well as the sign of the x-component of B.

Last edited:
the Y component i think... not?

got you on the direction! I missed that

Curious314 said:
the Y component i think... not?

Yes, the y-component. But did you then substitute it into the correct location in the determinant?

Thank you sooo much! :d

Hello! So this is my lastest attemp:

Since I is a current in opposite direction, is -I (thanks Tsny!)

i j k
0 -0.6 -1.03
0.5T 0 0So:

-3.5[(-0.6*0)-(-1.03*0)]i-[(0*0)-(0.5*-1.03)]j+[(0*0)-(-0.6*0.5)]k

=-1.80j-1.05k

This are the numbers, but not the signs... What am I missing?

Thanks!

What is the sign of the x-component of B?

Curious314 said:
Hello! So this is my lastest attemp:

Since I is a current in opposite direction, is -I (thanks Tsny!)

i j k
0 -0.6 -1.03
0.5T 0 0

So:

-3.5[(-0.6*0)-(-1.03*0)]i-[(0*0)-(0.5*-1.03)]j+[(0*0)-(-0.6*0.5)]k

=-1.80j-1.05k

This are the numbers, but not the signs... What am I missing?

Thanks!

If the direction vector for the length of the wire is already being reckoned correctly (with the negative signs on the correct components), the current can just be taken as positive. You should use +3.5A rather than -3.5A.

Also, your magnetic field strength should be -0.5i, since it's going in the negative x-direction (pointing directly out of the page).

I would suggest also that you save the simplification till the last step - otherwise you get rounding errors with the [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex], for example.

You can check if your answer is in the correct orientation by using the right-hand rule.

BTW, interesting username. :biggrin:

Related to A wire segment 1.2 m long carries a current I = 3.5 A

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field around a wire segment?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field (B) around a wire segment is B = (µ0 * I) / (2π * r), where µ0 is the permeability constant (4π * 10^-7 N/A^2), I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire.

2. How does the current affect the strength of the magnetic field around the wire segment?

The current (I) is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field (B) around the wire segment. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around the wire segment?

The direction of the magnetic field (B) around the wire segment is determined by the right-hand rule. If you wrap your right hand around the wire with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the length of the wire segment affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field (B) is inversely proportional to the length of the wire segment. This means that as the length of the wire segment increases, the magnetic field decreases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for current and magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for current is amperes (A) and the unit of measurement for magnetic field is tesla (T) or gauss (G).