A metal bar moves upwards near a long current carrying wire....

In summary: Other than that your reasoning in the OP is valid only if the magnetic field is uniform across the wire loop we are integrating (in this case the magnetic field is not uniform but across the bar length is uniform, if the bar was oriented perpendicular to the wire with its velocity parallel to the wire the EMF would be different than BuL). In the most generic case that the magnetic field and/or velocity varies through out the points of the wire loop we have to calculate the integral$$\int_{Loop}(\vec{v}\times \vec{B})\cdot d\vec{l}$$Try to calculate this integral in the case of a bar that is perpendicular to the wire with its velocity
jisbon
Homework Statement
Bar moves upwards near a long current carrying wire. Current = 50A. What is the p.d between A and B?
Relevant Equations
##B =\frac{\mu I}{2\pi r}##
1568444073703.png

Not sure what to do here, but I do know that magnetic field is pointing in the paper according to the right hand grip from current carrying wire.
Hence I can calculate magnetic field to be:
##B = \mu_{0} I/2\pi r=(4\pi * 10^{-7})(50)/2\pi (0.004) = 3.94784*10^{-7}T##

Now from what I understand, there are free electrons inside the conducting bar. The positive charges move to left while negative charges move to right. So for a free electron to remain in bar,

##qE=bqv##
##E = vb##
I also know p.d = Efield in the bar * Length of bar
Which means## p.d = vBL##
However, subbing in B from above does not give me the answer.
Can anyone explain the concepts involved in this question and what I might have done wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any mistake in your reasoning (though it is a bit simplified, it still holds in this case because the velocity and the magnetic field do not vary along the length of the bar) so I expect the motional EMF to be $$\text{EMF}=\int_0^L(\vec{v}\times \vec{B})\cdot \vec{dl}=BvL$$. Perhaps you did a mistake in the arithmetic. What is the answer provided by the book?

There is definitely a mistake in the arithmetic for B, I get ##B=2.5\times 10^{-3}T##

Last edited:
Welp an arithmetic error :/
Is there a more detailed reasoning behind this concept though? Thanks
Delta2 said:
I don't see any mistake in your reasoning (though it is a bit simplified, it still holds in this case because the velocity and the magnetic field do not vary along the length of the bar) so I expect the motional EMF to be $$\text{EMF}=\int_0^L(\vec{v}\times \vec{B})\cdot \vec{dl}=BvL$$. Perhaps you did a mistake in the arithmetic. What is the answer provided by the book?

There is definitely a mistake in the arithmetic for B, I get ##B=2.5\times 10^{-3}T##

jisbon said:
Welp an arithmetic error :/
Is there a more detailed reasoning behind this concept though? Thanks
Read Wikipedia article on Faraday's law and especially the proof section
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday's_law_of_induction#Proof
Other than that your reasoning in the OP is valid only if the magnetic field is uniform across the wire loop we are integrating (in this case the magnetic field is not uniform but across the bar length is uniform, if the bar was oriented perpendicular to the wire with its velocity parallel to the wire the EMF would be different than BuL). In the most generic case that the magnetic field and/or velocity varies through out the points of the wire loop we have to calculate the integral

$$\int_{Loop}(\vec{v}\times \vec{B})\cdot d\vec{l}$$

Try to calculate this integral in the case of a bar that is perpendicular to the wire with its velocity parallel to the wire. You ll se that it is quite different than ##BuL## (if you do it correctly you ll have ##\ln{L+\alpha}## terms)/

1. How does a current carrying wire cause a metal bar to move upwards?

When a current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the metal bar, causing it to experience a force in the upward direction.

2. What factors affect the strength of the upward force on the metal bar?

The strength of the magnetic field created by the current carrying wire and the distance between the wire and the bar are the main factors that affect the strength of the upward force. The current's direction and the orientation of the wire and bar also play a role.

3. Why does the metal bar move upwards instead of towards the wire?

The direction of the force on the metal bar is determined by the direction of the current and the orientation of the wire and bar. In this case, the force is directed upwards due to the orientation of the wire and the direction of the current.

4. Can the metal bar move downwards near a current carrying wire?

Yes, the metal bar can move downwards depending on the orientation of the wire and bar and the direction of the current. If these factors are changed, the force on the bar can be directed downwards instead of upwards.

5. Will the metal bar continue to move upwards indefinitely?

No, the metal bar will eventually reach a point of equilibrium where the upward force from the wire is balanced by the weight of the bar. At this point, the bar will stop moving and remain in a stationary position unless the conditions affecting the force change.