A Language Spin: The Paradox of Zero Multiplication and Social Perception

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not Anna can say she has twice as much coins as Bertus while Bertus can say he has 5 times more coins than Anna. Some argue this is a paradox, but it is simply a different way of expressing the relationship between the number of coins each person has.
Krokodzilla
If Anna has 0 coins and Bertus has 0 coins aswell. Can you say that Anna has twice as much coins as Bertus? Because 2*0=0. But couldn`t you also say that Anna has four times more coins than Bertus, but simultaneously Bertus has 5 times more coins than Anna? Making it a paradox?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is not a paradox. Because for x=0, x=1x=2x=3x=4x=..., so you're just giving different names to the relationship between the two number of coins.

I agree with @Shyan that this isn't a paradox. The product of any finite number and zero is zero.

I agree mathimatically, but in a social concept where Anna says she has twice as much coins than Bertus, while Bertus can say at the same time he has 5 times more as coins than Anna.

Krokodzilla said:
If Anna has 0 coins and Bertus has 0 coins aswell. Can you say that Anna has twice as much coins as Bertus? Because 2*0=0. But couldn`t you also say that Anna has four times more coins than Bertus, but simultaneously Bertus has 5 times more coins than Anna? Making it a paradox?
No paradox. You want to solve the equation A=xB, where x is the multiplier of how many more coins Anna has than Bertus. Now since A = B, then x = 1, or A/B = 1.

0/0 , which is indeterminate in general, in this specific problem is a specific number, namely, 0/0 is 1. Anna has the same number of non-existing coins as Bertus, none, no more, no less.

Q.E.D.

Krokodzilla said:
I agree mathimatically, but in a social concept where Anna says she has twice as much coins than Bertus, while Bertus can say at the same time he has 5 times more as coins than Anna.
Its not a paradox even in that sense. You can test it. Tomorrow, go out and explain it to the first person you see and ask whether s\he thinks this is a paradox. Chances are very high that s\he tells you this is not a paradox and explains the reason very quickly.

If it`sa paradox ir not is not really my point, sorry english isn`t my native language. I mean can Anna say that she has twice as more coins than Bertus and Bertus can say at the same time that he has 5 tikes as much coins than Anna?

Krokodzilla said:
If it`sa paradox ir not is not really my point, sorry english isn`t my native language. I mean can Anna say that she has twice as more coins than Bertus and Bertus can say at the same time that he has 5 tikes as much coins than Anna?
Yes, because 0=0, no matter how those zeroes look like!

Krokodzilla said:

Yes, it's a language paradox or a language spin, a better word. For example if you and I run a race and you beat me by a mile, I can say that I finished second while you came in next to last! It's expressing the truth in such a way as to give the opposite impression. That's what politicians call spin.

What is a zero multiplication paradox?

A zero multiplication paradox is a mathematical concept that arises when trying to multiply a number by zero. It results in an answer of zero, which seems counterintuitive because we usually think of multiplication as increasing a number.

Why is it called a paradox?

It is called a paradox because it goes against our basic understanding of multiplication. We expect a non-zero number to increase when multiplied, but in this case, it remains at zero.

Is zero the only number that results in a paradox?

No, there are other numbers that can result in a paradox when multiplied, such as infinity or undefined numbers. However, zero is the most commonly encountered paradox in multiplication.

What are the implications of a zero multiplication paradox?

The implications of a zero multiplication paradox are mainly in the field of mathematics and theoretical physics. It challenges our understanding of multiplication and can lead to interesting discussions and discoveries in these fields.

How can we explain the concept of a zero multiplication paradox?

The concept can be explained by understanding that multiplication is a way of repeated addition. When we multiply a number by zero, we are essentially adding zero to itself repeatedly, resulting in an answer of zero. This explanation helps to make sense of the paradoxical nature of the concept.