1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A zero multiplication paradox

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    If Anna has 0 coins and Bertus has 0 coins aswell. Can you say that Anna has twice as much coins as Bertus? Because 2*0=0. But couldn`t you also say that Anna has four times more coins than Bertus, but simultaneously Bertus has 5 times more coins than Anna? Making it a paradox?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

This is not a paradox. Because for x=0, x=1x=2x=3x=4x=..., so you're just giving different names to the relationship between the two number of coins.

4. Dec 18, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with @Shyan that this isn't a paradox. The product of any finite number and zero is zero.

5. Dec 18, 2014 #4
    I agree mathimatically, but in a social concept where Anna says she has twice as much coins than Bertus, while Bertus can say at the same time he has 5 times more as coins than Anna.

6. Dec 18, 2014 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No paradox. You want to solve the equation A=xB, where x is the multiplier of how many more coins Anna has than Bertus. Now since A = B, then x = 1, or A/B = 1.

0/0 , which is indeterminate in general, in this specific problem is a specific number, namely, 0/0 is 1. Anna has the same number of non-existing coins as Bertus, none, no more, no less.

Q.E.D.

7. Dec 18, 2014 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Its not a paradox even in that sense. You can test it. Tomorrow, go out and explain it to the first person you see and ask whether s\he thinks this is a paradox. Chances are very high that s\he tells you this is not a paradox and explains the reason very quickly.

8. Dec 18, 2014 #7
    If it`sa paradox ir not is not really my point, sorry english isn`t my native language. I mean can Anna say that she has twice as more coins than Bertus and Bertus can say at the same time that he has 5 tikes as much coins than Anna?

9. Dec 18, 2014 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Yes, because 0=0, no matter how those zeroes look like!

10. Dec 21, 2014 #9
    Yes, it's a language paradox or a language spin, a better word. For example if you and I run a race and you beat me by a mile, I can say that I finished second while you came in next to last! It's expressing the truth in such a way as to give the opposite impression. That's what politicians call spin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook