A2 Physics Experiment: Electrical Conductance Through Salt Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses an A2 physics experiment involving the use of electricity and studying its effects at an atomic level. The experiment involves looking at electrical conductance through a salt solution and examining the relationship between conductance and temperature. There is a discussion about whether the experiment is more related to chemistry or physics and the potential danger of producing chlorine gas. The person plans to present the experiment plan to their teacher and take necessary precautions when conducting the experiment.
Anastasya
After summer I have to do my physics A2 experiment coursework. I really like working with electricity and looking at what happens at an atomic level, but I fear that what I want too do is more chemistry than physics.

I had the idea of look at electrical conductance through a salt solution. I would begin with distilled water and gradually add salt (of a specific type), and see what happens to the conductance as the salt concentration increases. On top of this I would look at the effect of changing conductance on temperature. in both cases I want to look at a relationships (graph it etc) and why this happens on an atomic level.

Is this experiment more to do with chemistry and physics though? Or can I do it as my A2 physics experiment?

any comments, guidance, suggestions would be great.

Anya

Physics news on Phys.org

It's both, I guess. But looking at it from a physics view:

When you add salt you can assume the salt is entirely dissolved and the NaCl molecules split into Na+ and Cl- ions, each with a charge of 1e. Then knowing the amount of salt dissolved you can get the number of free ions per unit volume of solvent, then compute conductivity based on a comparison with a metal, say Cu, with known free electron density. Should be interesting! In the case of the salt solution remember there are positive as well as negative charges floating around... also that you start depleting ions and manufacturing deadly Chlorine gas! So I would take my data very quickly then shut off the current!

thank you so much for replying,I really appreciate it. I shall write up the experiment plan, focusing on the physics side as you mentioned and present to my teacher and see what he thinks.

and thanks so much for for mentioning the latter 'deadly chlorine gas' part, it slipped my mind. if I do end up preforming this experiment I most definitely will take my data quickly and turn of the current ASAP!

thanks again.

1. What is the purpose of the "A2 Physics Experiment: Electrical Conductance Through Salt Solution"?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate how the electrical conductance of a salt solution is affected by the concentration of the solution and the distance between the electrodes. This helps to understand the properties of electrolytes and their behavior in an electric field.

2. How do you set up the experiment?

To set up the experiment, you will need a power supply, a conductivity meter, two electrodes (such as graphite rods), a salt solution of known concentration, and a beaker. Connect the electrodes to the power supply and place them in the salt solution. Use the conductivity meter to measure the conductance of the solution at different distances between the electrodes.

3. What is the relationship between concentration and conductance in a salt solution?

The relationship between concentration and conductance in a salt solution is directly proportional. This means that as the concentration of the solution increases, the conductance also increases. This is because a higher concentration of ions in the solution allows for more movement of charged particles, resulting in higher conductance.

4. Why is distance between the electrodes important in this experiment?

The distance between the electrodes is important because it affects the electric field strength in the solution. A larger distance between the electrodes means a weaker electric field, which can result in lower conductance. By measuring conductance at different distances, we can observe how the electric field strength affects the movement of ions in the solution.

5. How does this experiment relate to real-world applications?

This experiment relates to real-world applications in many ways. Understanding the properties of electrolytes and their behavior in an electric field is important in industries such as battery manufacturing, wastewater treatment, and electroplating. It also has implications in fields like medicine, where electrolyte balance in the body is crucial for proper functioning. By studying the relationship between concentration and conductance, we can also better understand the behavior of solutions in various chemical and biological processes.