Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abelian Higgs model and conserved vortex current

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Refer page-24 in http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.0443v3

Eq-6.19 is supposed to be the Lagrangian of Abelian-Higgs models. Eg-6.19 is clearly a conserved current of U(1) symmetry. But I cant show how eq-6.21 is a conserved vortex current.

Note: The last term in the Lagrangian is not the usual [itex]F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu}[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    I see it now. I missed the fact that it is a 2+1 dimensional model :blushing:

--
    If it helps anyone...

In 2+1 dimensions, [itex] \epsilon^{\mu \nu \lambda} \partial_\nu A_\lambda [/itex] (cf. 6.21) is proportional to the dual field strength tensor:
    [tex]\hat{J}^\mu \propto \tilde{F}^\mu = \star F_{\nu \lambda} [/tex]

So, [itex][/itex] [itex]\hat{J}^\mu[/itex]is conserved simply by the Bianchi identity (or the homogeneous Maxwell equation):
    [tex]\partial_\mu \tilde{F}^\mu = 0 [/tex]

PS: In 2+1 dim, [itex]( \epsilon^{\mu \nu \lambda} \partial_\nu A_\lambda )^2 \propto F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu} [/itex] (last term in the lagrangian of eq-6.19)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook