Aberration of starlight due to

• Thread starter HarryWertM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aberration
In summary, the annual 20 arcsec aberration of starlight is explained by special relativity. This was discovered in 1729 by James Bradley and was only correct using classical mechanics. However, using the theory of relativity, the same correct result was obtained. The relativistic part of the aberration has not been measured, but it is theorized to be due to relativistic beaming or apparent super-luminal motion of relativistic supernova jets.
HarryWertM
Aberration of starlight due to...

I have read that the 20+ arcsec annual aberration of starlight is explained by special relativity, but I found no further comment.

So how is it explained in SR?
-HarryWertm

Physics news on Phys.org

The 20 arcsec was measured and explained in 1729 by James Bradley. The explanation used only classical mechanics and the known speed of light. SR does not change this to lowest order.
The advantage of SR was that it gave the same correct result as Bradley, while ether drag theories did not.
SR predicts a v^/c^2 correction term, which has been measured quite recently.

Does anyone know where to find more information regarding Meir's noted "quite recent" measurement of the SR correction term? Googled all over but found no mention of any such result.

Last edited:

I'm sorry. The measurements I mentioned were of the relativistic transverse Doppler shift. I don't know of any measurements of the relativistic part of aberration. I guess it is too small

Meir Achuz said:
I'm sorry. The measurements I mentioned were of the relativistic transverse Doppler shift. I don't know of any measurements of the relativistic part of aberration. I guess it is too small
Look up relativistic beaming or apparent super-luminal motion of relativistic supernova jets. It has been observed experimentally there.

It looks like the most detailed and rigorous text on SR predictions is J. Aharoni, "The Special Theory of Relativity" 1965

Aharoni made predictions in terms of the ratio of semi-axes of projected ellipse. They differ from the classical geometric Earth orbit projection of Bradley.

[tex] \alpha(min)/\alpha(max) = \alpha(l=-sin\phi)/\alpha(l=0) [/tex]

That is approximately

[tex] cos\phi-[cos(\phi)sin(\phi)/2](v/c) + [cos(\phi)sin^2(\phi)/3](v/c)^2 -[cos(\phi)sin(\phi)(1/6+sin^2\phi/4](v/c)^3[/tex]

plus higher order terms

Another unverified parameter is the shape of the figure of aberration which is unique for SR compared with the Bradley figure of aberration.

Last edited:

Look up relativistic beaming or apparent super-luminal motion of relativistic supernova jets. It has been observed experimentally there.

Would really prefer to know about new relativistic measurements of very historic phenomena like annual earth-orbital aberration of starlight rather than exotica like supernova jets.

the shape of the figure of aberration which is unique for SR

A bit puzzled by this. The maximal angle of aberration is slightly different for SR but isn't the minimal angle, and therefore minor axis of the elliptical "observation pattern", also different? And wouldn't the ratio of minimal and maximal axes be EXTREMELY slightly different for SR? Why not just measure the maximal angle of aberration as accurate as possible to attempt to find the second order SR correction? NASA budget too small or technology just not there yet?

1. What is aberration of starlight due to?

The aberration of starlight is a phenomenon observed in astronomy where the apparent position of a star or other celestial object appears to be slightly shifted from its actual position. This is due to the relative motion between the Earth and the object as it travels through space.

2. How does aberration of starlight occur?

Aberration of starlight occurs due to the finite speed of light and the motion of the observer. As the observer moves, the direction of the incoming light will appear to change, resulting in a slight shift in the apparent position of the star.

3. Does aberration of starlight affect all celestial objects?

Yes, aberration of starlight affects all celestial objects, including stars, planets, and galaxies. However, the effect is most noticeable with stars because they are so far away and appear as point sources of light.

4. How was aberration of starlight first discovered?

The phenomenon of aberration of starlight was first discovered by astronomer James Bradley in 1725. He noticed that the position of the star Gamma Draconis appeared to change slightly over the course of a year, and he correctly attributed this to the Earth's motion around the sun.

5. Can aberration of starlight be used to measure the speed of light?

Yes, aberration of starlight can be used to indirectly measure the speed of light. By measuring the angle of aberration and knowing the Earth's orbital velocity, the speed of light can be calculated using a simple formula.