Why do spheres roll easier than cubes?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the physics of motion and why a sphere rolls easier than a cube or irregular object. It is explained that when a sphere rolls, its centre of mass stays at a constant height above the surface, while other shapes do not have this advantage. It is also mentioned that moving the centre of mass of a cube takes energy, which is lost in heat and sound when the cube lands on a face. Additionally, it is noted that there is less energy lost in a sphere due to friction.
Sundown444
I am aware that this could be the wrong section for this, but I wish to ask this here if you all don't mind. You all know how a sphere rolls along the ground easier than a cube, right? Well, how are the physics of motion involved in why a sphere rolls easier than a cube, or an irregular object?

Physics news on Phys.org
When a sphere rolls its centre of mass stays at a constant height above the surface.

MrAnchovy said:
When a sphere rolls its centre of mass stays at a constant height above the surface.

What about other shapes?

It doesn't (apart from a cylinder and similar shapes).

MrAnchovy said:
It doesn't (apart from a cylinder and similar shapes).

Well, if that is that, then thanks. I appreciate the help.

Wait, in the case of both spheres or other objects, the CoM still follows a straight line, right?

Yes I guess that's it - there's not much more to say really, except that moving the centre of mass of say a cube up and pivoting it around an edge takes energy; some of this energy is released when the cube "falls" over the pivot edge but then that most of that energy is lost in heat and perhaps sound when the cube lands on a face, then you have to put more energy into lift the centre of mass again...

MrAnchovy said:
Yes I guess that's it - there's not much more to say really, except that moving the centre of mass of say a cube up and pivoting it around an edge takes energy; some of this energy is released when the cube "falls" over the pivot edge but then that most of that energy is lost in heat and perhaps sound when the cube lands on a face, then you have to put more energy into lift the centre of mass again...

And there is less energy to be used in a sphere, right?

Only what is lost in friction.

Okay then. I get it now. Thanks.

1. What is the difference between a shape and a rotation?

A shape refers to the physical appearance or outline of an object, while rotation refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point.

2. How do shapes and rotation affect the properties of an object?

Shapes and rotation can affect an object's properties such as its volume, surface area, and center of gravity. For example, changing the shape of an object can alter its volume and rotating an object can shift its center of gravity.

3. What is the relationship between symmetry and rotation?

Symmetry refers to the balance and proportionality of an object's shape, while rotation refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point. Symmetry can be achieved through rotation, as rotating an object can create a balanced and proportional shape.

4. How does understanding shapes and rotation help in scientific studies?

Understanding shapes and rotation is crucial in many scientific studies, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It allows scientists to analyze and predict the behavior of objects and systems, as well as to design experiments and models.

5. Are there any real-life applications of shapes and rotation?

Shapes and rotation have numerous real-life applications, including in engineering, architecture, and design. For example, understanding the rotation of gears is essential in designing efficient machinery, and knowledge of shapes is crucial in constructing stable and safe structures.